How do you like your job? Would you do it again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you still love to fly?

Military, yes, very much so. Not since doing it commercially for a major airline.

Do you hate your job?

Hate is too strong a word. Flying commercially is drudgery only made worth it by the formally good compensation. Now that's gone, it's just a job.

How much are you away from home?

17 days a month.

What does your spouse think?

Tolerates it.

Would you do it again?

No. In retrospect, I had much more rewarding career, both emotionally and monetarily in another field. Airline flying seems lucrative and fun from the outside, but now, it's deteriorated to drudgery and abuse. Too many pilots willing to undercut compensation. Pensions soon to be gone. Have zero feeling of "profession" anymore. Just a job with a declining future. No respect from management, coworkers, or public. Zero sense of brotherhood from fellow union members. Senior pilots control the union and work on self-interest only.

Do you feel appreciated at work? (or just a number)

You're kidding, right? This is an airline we're talking about. You take your "appreciation" home in your wallet, and the wallet's about 25% thinner than it used to be . . . . . and getting worse. Words about "improving corporate culture" are straight out the the CEO standard PR playbook. They don't mean a thing. Stopped going to company "meets with management." It's all just propaganda. Actions speak louder than works. Still waiting for some action other than compensation cuts.

The good thing is that I'm paying a lot less taxes, not buying new cars, not buying a new computer every few years, stopped flying recreationally because it's gotten too expensive, and stopped buying a lot of economy supporting consumer goods. And stopped supporting the billionair rats that run Walmart and are ruining my hometown. Getting some perspective back. Resigned from the Republican party and am ambivilent to elections in November. Just a contest between a couple of rich privileged ivy-leaguers . . . one a Texan multi-millionaire good-ol-boy and the other an elitist billionaire liberal. Quite a choice.

Do you feel safe?

With equipment, yes . . . at least for now. If company outsources maintenance to hack contractors employing cheap unlicensed mexican immigrant labor, obsolutely NOT. As company mechanics suffer continual blows to morale, I think maintenance will suffer as well. With regards to security, NO. Polically correct government isn't willing to do what's necessary to secure the air transporation system. 60% of it is a PR exercise for the "battle-of-the-blonds" reporter dolts on the morning talk shows. 40% is real.

Is it stressful?

From an overall standpoint, yes. Once the gear is in the well, it's business as usual. The economy is so miserable under the republicans that decent jobs are scarce, families need two incomes, and even more so when trying to change careers. The piloting vocation keeps you in a very narrow range of skills mostly unsuitable for moving out of it. Luckily my son is intelligent and has seen first hand what a miserable vocation flying is and has zero interest in flying. He wants to be a "professional" at something . . . and commanding an aircraft is just bus driving today. It save me from kicking his butt into next month.

My wife and friends are jealous because I do love to fly and truly enjoy coming to work. My company (ATI), like others, is not perfect but the people, equipment and places I fly to are pretty exciting. I do enjoy my time off but like I tell my friends, I need to go to work to relax.

Do you hate your job?
NOPE

On average 16 days a month. Although with creative bidding, holidays and 2 weeks vacation a year, I can pull off being home for 27 days straight twice a year. That's pretty good to me. Our schedules other then International are 8-10 days away, 7 home then 4-5 away and 5-6 home. Keep in mind when we are away for those 10 it sometimes means a weekend somewhere. We arrive somewhere on Friday AM and are "usually done" till Monday night. Except a few runs that do fly on Saturday. Then off till Monday night.

Wife is very supportive, has own career she is happy with and values the fact I enjoy my job.

Would you do it again?

Without a doubt.
When we go the extra mile on a charter we have been known to get a message from chairman regarding the cooperation and a thanks. But in reality, who cares!

Do you feel safe?
The DC8 is a tank and our maintenance guys are pretty good. Not perfect but yes, I feel safe.

Is it stressful?
No. If you sit and whine about crap you have no control over maybe it can get stressfull. I show up do my job and enjoy the time in between.

Perspective from the ground

Just wanted to add my perspective from the ground. I share many of the frustrations Dragin does except I'm on the ground. I also think the grass is greener on the other side or up in the air. Speaking from experience, I tell my kids to try to do something you think you'll enjoy and/or interesting. Hopefully if you're good at it the money will be to your liking.
I've got an "easy" M-F job that pays pretty good for what I do (low 90's with a potential to hit low 100's). I drone on each day. Reluctant to change because of the stability it offers plus the vacation time. Do a good job keeping the bosses happy but my heart is a million miles away.
If flying is your gig, then go for it with eyes wide open. Would have a backup plan though. History shows aviation is unstable; the pay and quality of life is declining (depending where you're coming from); and in the next generation they'll probably have one person cockpits. Or you could go into operational management and be miserable . At least I can go smash bugs on weekends. Good therapy.

The economy is so miserable under the republicans that decent jobs are scarce, families need two incomes, and even more so when trying to change careers

C'mon dragginass....

As a Democrat I wont shed too many tears when Bush is done either (hopefully soon) but dont point the finger anywhere except your own company.

Blame the republicans?????

The only industry in the tank is the airlines. Many other parts of the economy are making record profits - Banking, Construction, Retail, etc...housing values are at an all time high, people are spending in record amounts...On my side of the fence, many corporate flight departments are hiring steadily, and the only reason families have to work 2+ jobs are when they are guys who thought they has security or spent based on future earnings...not too smart in aviation

How about you blame the constant revolving door of rapist upper management with golden parachutes on their backs??

How about the downright laughable service the airlines provided for SO LONG that your "whale" customers ($3000 1st class biz travelers) now go fractional?

So you are stuck with a boatload full of WalMart shoppers paying $89 round trip to disney land and you are losing hundreds of millions....theres a shocker!!

but no worries, its always someone else's fault....thats what us dems are known for..

Put the welfare hand away, the public has spoken - they dont NEED your service and arent going to support you like a welfare mama with 12 kids...

but as Democrats we know this.

Last edited:
Do I like my job? Yes, once the door is closed and we push back, for the most part I still enjoy flying. Is it stressful? Yes and no. The job itself is not. The career is. It has been nothing but stress since I got into this industry, and I don't see it changing. Would I do it again? No. I had other options, and in retrospect, should have pursued them. I would not recommend the pilot profession for anyone in the future.

Sounds corny, but alot of times it still feels like the first time every time I rotate...So, yes I LOVE it!

Do you hate your job?
Not one bit. Hated selling insurance to pay for college and flight training though!

Varies greatly, but home more than other flying gigs I would bet.

I was flying before we met, so she knew what she was getting into! But overall, very supportive since she knows I can't have a real job anyway.

Would you do it again?
In a heartbeat. Always wanted to fly cargo though....

I feel appreciated, but this is a little different since I don't work in a huge flight dept.

Do you feel safe?
Yes. I will not, and am rarely pushed to do something risky.

Is it stressful?
Sometimes, but that just keeps you on your toes so complacency doesn't set in!

Simple, sell it and they will Eventually come.

You know many other industries have alliances with each other and still compete at the same time. Oil companies, Rx, many more...none of them are loosing money...

People will always fly, some will balk at increade fares...so.....we all balk at higher gas prices, taxes, a laof of bread anad a gallon of milk....so we stop buy them because they went up on price NO......

Tha same for ALL the airlines....RAISE THE DARN FARES TO A PROFIETABLE LEVEL, The airlines need to form there own alliance to protect the fares....so what if the LCC dont join...many people are sick and tried of the routine they must endure at a SWA or Airtran gate to get somewhere......If the airlines in this alliance were to go on a 1 month shut down, the LCCs could not carry all of them, the lines and over bookings would be terrible and they would plead for someone to do something to get more people back in the air...

AIR TRAVELERS NEED A WAKE-UP CALL..... EVERYONE RAISE THE PRICES

How is that this industry has not followed suit with everything else we buy everyday??? its got to stop, NOW stop taking form the employees, make the people pay the tab as they do everywhere else...

Auto gas prices went throught the roof this summer, we complained and then went out and filled up the SUV so we could continue our life style.....

Do you still love to fly? Yes I do.
Do you hate your job? No, in fact I can't imagine the agony of having a real job.
How much are you away from home? Available to fly about 14 days/month - varies.
What does your spouse think? Loves everything about it.
Would you do it again? Absolutely.
Do you feel appreciated at work? (or just a number) Number 3970.
Do you feel safe? Yes.
Is it stressful? No; with rare exceptions like weather extremes, etc.

Absolutely - I think I am more relaxed when cruising at 350 then about any other time I can think of. I look forward to going back to work every time I commute back in.

Do you hate your job?
While there can be negative aspects to it (reserve, commuting, the general decline in our pay) I would defintely not say that I hate it.

Generally 13-17 nights a month. Varies by what I choose to bid.

As soon as I find one I will let you know.

Would you do it again?
Yes! I love what I do and more to the point I have had a real job working 9-5 that paid well and it SUCKED. I could never go back to the cubicle army. I put my QOL as a medium senority lineholder up against any 9-5 job. I work less, get paid reasonably well (but not enough), and get to travel all over on my days off if I want. I have been known to go have lunch in Vegas and then Dinner in Alaska simply because I can.

I feel a satisfaction in getting people where they want to go without their ever conscientously thinking about it. Insofar as I am recognized by the company for this you may simply refer to me as number 9903. But in all honesty I neither need nor want recognition for my job - it makes me happy to do it and that is enough.

Do you feel safe?
Yes - I wouldn't do it if I thought it was unsafe and I don't think the company would push me to.

Is it stressful?
Only when I have been waiting for paperwork for the last hour with a full boatload of passengers that are curious why we havent left yet. The long term career implications can be stressful if you make them that way but I have no illusions that the major are never going to hire again like so many here. I am young enough that I can wait until they do and my current regional job is good enough that I don't mind waiting here.

I wrote this since I seem to be the only person flying for a regional airline who has responded to this thread. While there are certainly some negatives to consider about choosing this career and lately all many people can seem to do is bitch and moan about how bad they have it - I love what I do and I will continue to do it - at least as long as it continues to make me happy. Yes many things have been bad lately but this industry is and has always been cyclical and it will straighten itself out eventually. And hopefully I won't have to go to work for my fourth airline before that happens but it that is the case then so be it. Now if I were at Mesa or Pinnacle or another one of the low paying, low QOL regionals just trying to pay my dues to get to the majors I might have a very different opinion - but I work for one of the best regionals so I don't. Those people chose that path and they knew what it entailed so they get no sympathy from me - you made your bed now go sleep in it and don't bitch to the rest of us because we don't care. This career will always be what you make it.

Latest resources

Back