• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do you land the CRJ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hear that SkyWest has been using the "drag the wingtip along the ground" technique lately. (ha ha folks)

S!

The ERJ has no leading edge devices and thus very high approach speeds when heavy as well yet we still fly the approach with about 3 degrees of nose up pitch to track the glide slope. We land with 45 degrees of flaps as our full flap setting with target speeds of around 138 at a normal load. Our reversers are used almost all the time and are clam-shell type reversers that deploy rather quickly however do not spool up until the nose wheel is on the ground. The 37 seaters (135's) land a bit differently and have a bit more nose low attitude (1degree up) on final but you can flare them earlier and not run out of nose up trim when the mains touch, unlike their big brother.
Takeoff is another animal in itself. Yesterday, with a full load out of COS on a hot day in a 145, we used about 8500 feet of runway before rotation started. **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** boy scouts with their duffle bags! Just kidding.
IAHERJ
Temp EWRERJ

Wheelie King!

Doin Time,

Nice work!! I got it to about 85-90 knots a few times and I thought that was impressive. The things at taxi speed when the nosewheel hits. Wow, 72 knots....still impressed.

Beechnut, what happened at SKY?

Yup, the lack of leading edge devices do cause a nose low attitude, and this makes it easy to flare early and float down past the td zone. It looks like a bit of ground rush when you get low, and we have even had people in the jumpseat cry out in horror just before landing. So, if you have a jumpseater that flies a different type, be sure to warn him of this. Good luck guys.

I didn't think it was any extreme attitude, it's only about 2.5 down. Not horrible, but yeah the ground rush is there sometimes. Especially with an upsloping runway. Most jumpseaters scream in horror when I am at the controls anyhow, so I am fairly used to it! :D

Yeah, back before 9/11 I had the chance twice to ride up front on the CRJ. Once on ASA and once on Airlink. Both trips were into MGM. The ASA captain was very senior and pulled the power to idle on downwind at around 5,000 feet. He executed the approach perfectly and just added a touch of power at 100 feet and greased the landing on. I have to say that it looks as if you are going to land on the nosewheel from the jumpseat but you are sitting a few inches higher than the pilots if I remember correctly. I like the cockpit of the CRJ.

Good post on the Landing technique SDD.

I have to agree. I personally get nervous when I fly with pilots that try to look 'cute' when landing the CRJ. Holding the Nosewheel off etc...one of these days if a gust catches you just right well fly safe guys.

Rook
600' AGL
Autopilot on. 'WHEW!'

It is not prudent to make an approach with the engines not spooled. ASA prohibits this type of approach. It is unstabilised and not safe. Hopefully you were just unaware that they engines were spooled. They are quiet enough that this was most likely true.

The -700 in my estimation is quite easy to land if you remember that with a higher body angle and slats, it will fall out of the sky with no power on it. Flare, retard, and "push" forward slightly-
it will roll on. Just my .02-

Yeah, if you aren't spooled up by 500' your butt had better be going around. That is not cool.

Latest resources

Back