How do you land a jetBlue interview??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Draginass said:
Tell 'em on your resume that you want to fly the Ejet 100 seat narrowbody airliners for 50 seat RJ wages . . . and you'll be proud to do it.

That's a real helpful insight from DA. The guy asks for some help and all you do is show the last part of your log in. Maybe someday you'll be looking for a job and get the same type of reply. Only one could hope.

wndshr said:
i hate to break it to the 50 seat drivers....but there are gonna be a lot of 50 seaters getting sunburn in the desert pretty soon! especially when jetblue is getting 200, 100 seaters. reality sucks, eh!

if i were a 50 seat driver...i'd be suckin up as hard as i could to get a 100 seat job, or better! just my opinion! if you want to fly?

Ahhh. Yet another student of the industry. Let me drop some knowledge on you...

50 seaters will fly as long as there is small market demand on small market routes. And majors will always outsource this business to regional airlines because of their cost structure, willingness to fly, and size of aircraft. Sure the RJ's have high seat mile costs, but they are not going away. Period. They are not going to the desert either. Just because you FLY airplanes for a living does not make you an airline expert. This industry is market driven. That is the ONLY factor. It used to be that the legacy carriers charged whatever they wanted to cover expenses during the regulation era. Now, you can't drive the market with aircraft size, therefore you cannot create passenger loads in some markets no matter how much you advertise. That is why jetBlue diversified its fleet despite the other factors which made it successful from its inception...1 aircraft type, fewer parts, simplified maintenance program, fewer training cycles, etc. There is a reason Delta pulled its mainline flights out of so many markets like Atlanta-Portland, ME and Huntsville, AL. They cannot make money. Even with high LF's, yields kill them. RJ's will ALWAYS be able to make $$$ on routes like that despite high ASM's because the BELF (that's Break Even Load Factor, Mr. Expert) is conducive to RJ operations, not 150 seat mainline aircraft. However, I bet you will see a lot of aircraft orders being converted to 70 and 90 seat aircraft and production of 50's slowing, but certainly not going to the Mojave. PEACE!!!

Splinter,
IMHO, I think you are partially correct in assuming that all RJ's will not be going to the desert.
JB's E190 will be going head to head with most of these current RJ operators with a much lower CASM and much more advanced, comfortable product. The price of those tickets will come down some, thus lowering the potential yield on those routes and thinning the crowd of competitors in each market.
Eventually, the rows of 50 seat RJ's in the desert will grow but, all 50 seat RJ's will not end up there; some markets are even too small for the E190.

Splinter said:
Ahhh. Yet another student of the industry. Let me drop some knowledge on you...

50 seaters will fly as long as there is small market demand on small market routes. And majors will always outsource this business to regional airlines because of their cost structure, willingness to fly, and size of aircraft. Sure the RJ's have high seat mile costs, but they are not going away. Period. They are not going to the desert either. Just because you FLY airplanes for a living does not make you an airline expert. This industry is market driven. That is the ONLY factor. It used to be that the legacy carriers charged whatever they wanted to cover expenses during the regulation era. Now, you can't drive the market with aircraft size, therefore you cannot create passenger loads in some markets no matter how much you advertise. That is why jetBlue diversified its fleet despite the other factors which made it successful from its inception...1 aircraft type, fewer parts, simplified maintenance program, fewer training cycles, etc. There is a reason Delta pulled its mainline flights out of so many markets like Atlanta-Portland, ME and Huntsville, AL. They cannot make money. Even with high LF's, yields kill them. RJ's will ALWAYS be able to make $$$ on routes like that despite high ASM's because the BELF (that's Break Even Load Factor, Mr. Expert) is conducive to RJ operations, not 150 seat mainline aircraft. However, I bet you will see a lot of aircraft orders being converted to 70 and 90 seat aircraft and production of 50's slowing, but certainly not going to the Mojave. PEACE!!!

very interesting opinion...of course opinions are free and sometimes you get what you pay for..right? LOL! i know that is a two way street!

one of my points is that mainline carriers will strike and go out of bizniz before they let the 50 seat regional drivers fly 90-100 seat a/c. unless you fly for a mainline carrier, the career expectation will not exceed 70 seats at the regional level. as b6 expands to 200; 100 seaters i do not imagine delta, ual, northwest, amr will sit around and not try to compete without their own 100 seater. trust me...the 50 seaters will continue to fly to places the 100 seater hasn't infiltrated...but those markets are gonna run out sometime. cost will be too high for the 50 seater as consumers will flood to the 100 seater. you don't believe me....ask yourself what happened to all the turboprops out there when the CRJ was developed?

however, i applaud your opinion as it is very predictable coming from a CL65 guy...i wish you good luck with that!

btw..i don't recall saying ALL 50 seaters will be parked in the desert...i would guess you would eventually (7-10 years from now) see as many 50 seater CRJ's flying as you see BE1900's and DHC 8's. i could be wrong...but if i had 15-30 plus career hedging on a company that only flies a 50 seater....i might have a resume or two out!

Last edited:
Wow! How did this digress from "How do you get an interview at JB?"

Thanks for taking an opportunity to drop trou and poop on regional drivers. My outlook on the industry is not influenced because I fly an RJ. JB is making the right moves in selecting a 100 seat airplane, but you forget that there is enough slices of pie for everyone. RJ's will hold the line because their purpose is hub feed. Until jetBlue and Southwest fly to other continents and partner with major carriers on them, there will always be competition in the domestic marketplace no matter how superior the business model, customer service, and superior management at JB and Southwest.

Feel luck that you have made it but remember to be humble about it. Every other FO I fly with is a furloughed pilot from a national airline and old enough to be my dad. So...do you have any insight as to the original question or what?

Splinter said:
Wow! How did this digress from "How do you get an interview at JB?"

Thanks for taking an opportunity to drop trou and poop on regional drivers. My outlook on the industry is not influenced because I fly an RJ. JB is making the right moves in selecting a 100 seat airplane, but you forget that there is enough slices of pie for everyone. RJ's will hold the line because their purpose is hub feed. Until jetBlue and Southwest fly to other continents and partner with major carriers on them, there will always be competition in the domestic marketplace no matter how superior the business model, customer service, and superior management at JB and Southwest.

Feel luck that you have made it but remember to be humble about it. Every other FO I fly with is a furloughed pilot from a national airline and old enough to be my dad. So...do you have any insight as to the original question or what?

remember what i said...opinions are free...i was including myself in there too! it is ONLY an opinion! i remember flying turboprops and when comair got the cl65...i was thinking...wow, that is going to be a milestone in aviation. well, it became a milestone for sure...i am just saying the 100 seater is that same milestone...15 years from now there will be another.

i would think that most regionals will fly majority 70 seaters with a lot fewer 50 seaters...if you wanted to fly anything bigger...THEN you have to leave..in MY OPINION! i know there are quite a few career folks that hope for bigger than 70 seat jets at the regional level.

btw...i have NOT made it in this profession, and never will! those days of 300K a year and pensions are LONG GONE, and most likely will never come back...another opinion!

Back to the original question. Is there any help moving up the interview list if you know a jb employee that is not a pilot, e.g., an upper level corporate director? Putting them down as a reference might only go so far. Is there another course that you can take, e.g., can a resume be 'walked in' by this person? Is this considered 'stepping on toes'?

Latest resources

Back