Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atafan said:
NO, I am not a scab,

My main,"sober" point is we usually hear pilots standing on a soap box spouting hatred towards scabs when our main enemy is often ourselves.

There is no unity among pilot groups, none. One airline group is more than happy to pillage another in the name of free enterprise. Pilots can't kick 60 year olds out of their seat in the name of safety fast enough just so you might get an upgrade. I could go on and on.

Please understand, until we all start treating each others as professionals and unite against management's desire to "Wallmart" the skies the seat you say you own is only a temporary warm seat in a game of musical chairs.

Focus your strengths look to the future and quit living in the past.

I see where you're coming from.
I personally am not a scab and will or never will choose to become one.

IMHO, alot of pilots are backstabbing greedy individuals. You've heard the one about how copper wire is formed? Two airline captains fighting over a penny.

Over and over I see pilots rejoice in their fellow pilots getting fired, quitting, retiring, or getting their medical taken away just so that pilot is able to move up a notch on the senioity list. Then these same individuals march in the picket line and talk about unity.

I see pilots who were normally very friendly and well-liked within the pilot group become chief pilots or check airmen. Then they quickly turn into little Hitlers just because all of a sudden they've aquired a little power. Then they march around like the big fish in the little pond backstabbing all the fellow pilots they used to fly the line with.

You're right, there is no unity among pilot groups. All I hear in the cockpit are pilots whining. If they're not whining about their own company, they're whining about a different company. Then there's the type of pilot you fly with who is jealous of the guys who have good jobs (fedex, ups, SW, etc..) and they start to downgrade them just out of jealousy.

No wonder there are scabs..with all the negativity, backstabbing and disunity, it's a wonder some pilot groups are able to pull together to form a picket line.

CAL back in 1983 hired a couple guys from my reserve unit in 1983, I was unemployed, and they told me I was a shoe in because they really needed pilots. All my ALPA buddies in my reserve unit back then told me if I crossed the line at CAL I would be branded as a SCAB, be banded from ever having a decent job and probably end my career flying for some non-sked at YIP. With that admonition I decided not to cross the line. However 32 years later the guys that crossed have nice retirements and look where I ended up at some non-sked at YIP.

Last edited:
However 32 years later the guys that crossed have nice retirements and look where I ended up at some non-sked at YIP.

Those same guys are dues paying members in good standing with ALPA today.

What a system we have!

Latest resources

Back