How do you do it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HMR said:
How about this for an idea? A few years back, I was CFI'ing 40+hrs a week for $20/hr. One of my students hired me to fly a T210 for $32K/yr. I flew one day per week and had a fixed schedule so I was able to double dip with my CFI job (do the math; that's pretty good dough). I took a pay cut to fly PT135 King Air's for two years. I was able to build enough experience to get hired as a captain at a PT91 Corp. Dept. Our first year captains make more than an 18yr RJ captain @ SkyWest. We're scheduled 60-90 days in advance and fly a lot less than any 121 guys I know of.

If the Regionals/Majors are your thing, great. Just wanted to highlight some other options. You guys who make ends meet on $20K/yr with $100K in school debt are a lot smarter about finance than I'll ever be.

:eek: That ain't bad

See the guy who did not go to college could have the $20K job without the $100K debt and be 4 years along in his career. The HS grad is probably flying RJ Captain at $50K-$60K with no debt having the college trained pilot jerking gear for him for $20K. But this does make sense to alot of the pilots on this board. I just have not figured it out yet.

Groundpounder: Run! get away from this profession. I have zero useful job skills so I'm stuck... You still have a chance. All these people are missing the point. Sure you can put together a month a week a year on nothing but long term you are screwed. You are always one major medical, car accident, etc from going in to major credit debt. The credit idea is garbage. Maybe you pay it off in a couple years you still miss the big picture.

The pension is gone. So you have to save for retirement now. Compound interest doubling etc... You need to be set up well by the time you are 30. ($100,000 or so) The high paying jobs are gone... So you will no longer be able to make up for lost time when you get older.
So while you string together a couple poor years the real problem is you screwed yourself for the rest of your life.
RUN

Wrong crashpad $100k/yr is still very doable flying an airplane. That puts you in the upper 5%-10% of national income. Where else can a High School grad count on making that much money, doing something they like, and have a lot of days off?

pilotyip said:
See the guy who did not go to college could have the $20K job without the $100K debt and be 4 years along in his career. The HS grad is probably flying RJ Captain at $50K-$60K with no debt having the college trained pilot jerking gear for him for $20K. But this does make sense to alot of the pilots on this board. I just have not figured it out yet.

When that non-college educated captian loses his medical, he is stuck with a $20k a year job. When the guy with college degree loses his job, or decides he doesn't want to fly, he goes and gets a $50k a year job using his degree.

old post but it fits

The fallback value of a degree is greatly over rated. I have a BS and a Master's in Management, but at age 53, I was making $250/wk loading cargo. After Zantop pretended to go out of went out of business in 1997, I had been a temporary High School Chemistry Teacher up until two weeks before the cargo job came along. However, they do not teach school in the summer so I had to take the cargo job. The value of an unused degree is highly over rated. 53 year old unemployed airline pilots are not eagerly greeted in any industry that I know of, even of having a couple degrees. Of course, I did not apply for many of the "College degree preferred jobs" such as apt manager, telephone direct sales, plumping floor manager at Home Depot, etc. If you get a college degree you have to use, the knowledge gained in college to develop a career or the degree is useless. After getting a degree, flying an airplane is not a knowledge expanding experience; it is skill development experience. Anyone care to chime in and share their experiences on entering the non-aviation job market after being out of college 20-30 years?

Groundpounder said:
When that non-college educated captian loses his medical, he is stuck with a $20k a year job. When the guy with college degree loses his job, or decides he doesn't want to fly, he goes and gets a $50k a year job using his degree.

What? You mean regional FO's really can't do any better at Home Depot or McDonalds?

A real man lets his woman support him. :beer:

Latest resources

Back