How do you do it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Groundpounder

How do you new hires that make $20k a year survive? I have a chance to get on with an airline and make around that level, but have no idea how I'd make ends meet. I have a nice car and a decent place to live, but I sure don't live like a king. I could get rid of the car and get some crapmobile, but thats not going to make a huge difference. How do you do it???

Try male stripping. Easiest $200 bucks an hour you'll ever make. :D

Or, you can be the next Kit Darby, and run a busiiness to convince everyone that there indeed IS a pilot shortage, and airlines will hire elventy billion pilots in the next 15 years! :rolleyes:

J/K !

Rich parents or a working wife. Hopefully, you'll have good second year pay so you can work a lot of extra hours to pay off the debt your gonna build up. (It is possible in your second year to make 40k+, if your pay rate is $30+hr)

Working wife in my case.

As a flight instructor I definately made less than 20k.

Lived in cheap places, always had roomates. Don't eat out at nice places, and don't buy expensive food for cooking at home. Alchohol is expensive.... so I drank grocery strore brand whiskey when I absolutely had to get drunk. Have a small car and didn't live too far from the airport, so gas hasn't been killing me. My student loans are backloaded, so the payments aren't too bad yet.

second job. If you have a flexable second job, you could work it while sitting reserve at the airline.

Last edited:
The same way anyone gets by their first year at any job paying 20K. Be prepared; either have some money in the bank or plan to skip a lot of meals.

Don't do anything out. Eat at home, drink at home, rent DVD's instead of going to the movies. Don't go crazy on the overnights at the bar. Get a cheap ass 4-cylinder car. It sucks but it is definitely possible, especially if you have roommates or a wife/gf with a job. It sucks, but later on when you have money I think you definitely appreciate it more.

The other half brings home the bacon. I bring home the toast....otherwise, you could always live in a tent and eat Ramen noodles for a few years.

Latest resources

Back