• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do you cure a stinky lav?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We use straight water in the Lear 60. Learjet found out that blue water was leaking and corroding the spar.

We use ozium to freshen the lav. every plane should have some of that stuff on board, its a lifesaver.

I also use those rv packs from wal-mart. After the line sevices the potty I add a pack to the potty. If the plane is to sit on a hot ramp I add another and flush a couple of times. Be sure every so often you rinse the thing out with warm water and clorox. Ozium or febreeze on the carpet helps a little with those whose aim is a lot off....

So if there is clear water in the lav it does not leak? Or it is OK for clear water to leak, just not the blue. I'd think Bombardier would fix the leak in the 1st place. What Bombardier service center told you blue water was causing the spar to corrode? I'd get a 2nd opinion on what is causing that spar to corrode. That's 1 heck of a blue water leak!

Not rolling on you Rokit, just there has to be more to the story than that.

Rokit88 said:
We use straight water in the Lear 60. Learjet found out that blue water was leaking and corroding the spar.

We use ozium to freshen the lav. every plane should have some of that stuff on board, its a lifesaver.

Its just that blue water is corrosive. This info comes right from the Learjet training center in Dallas. They told us that a few of the flexjet 60s were having problems so they tell everyone now to not use blue.

its just a cheap plastic bucket in there, its bound to leak a little bit. I guess regular water is ok.

Thats the info I've got. And thats all I know.

thatpilotguy said:
Ok, so here's the deal. I am new to the whole lav thing, but it seems that we get an ocassional lingering odor in the lav area. What is the best way to fight this nasty smell??

Hate to state the obvious but no one else has. We've had a lav job before with blue juice replacement only and it still stinks. That bowl needs a good 'ole fashoined scrubbing with a nasty toilet bowl brush and the correct cleaner. Spraying and wiping down the lav compartment helps too.

College boy don't know nuthing about plane fix'n

Fact is, the 'blue water' is corrosive. Mostly because is water and the blue stain it leaves is just a quick reference that the mechanics have to point that out. I have chased enough corrosion to back it up as a fact - not my first rodeo.

If you have a removable potty, take it out of the plane, hose it down and let it air dry (and leave the door of the aircraft open to air out)
If you have a mounted LAV, such as in Challengers and Gulfstreams. Dump the LAV, flush it with fresh water and remove it from the aircraft. You may have a leaking LAV or worse.
Yes, the RV stuff works well if you have the right mixture ratio. I don't recomend using any bleach, it will eat up your dump seal and will eventually preload the dumpshoot. (notice the guy with blue arms or shoes on the ramp)

The best preventive measure for the smell would to dump and flush with fresh water in the LAV, dump again and leave empty until you are ready to leave.

FYI, if you do wind up having corrosion and it turns into a big ordeal, have the mechanic paint inside the belly of the aircraft under the LAV area with matahorn white. This will protect the ribs, stringers and inner skin from any future problems.

Stop breathing through your nose

do what the others have said. dump and fill. then dump again and then fill with warm water and bleach. Let it sit for 20 mins or so then dump. then fill again. I know a lot of the lav carts have a hand pump to refill but those are typically off so just filling a bucket and then throwing the packet in and then filling from the inside works really well.

Also in the winter putting a little bit of glycol in the water will solve your freezing issue. And dont do like a certain crew i used to know when i worked line service and leave a full lav to stew on the plane during the summer for a few days. Had to dump the thing and fill from the inside and i felt pretty damn bad for any pax that had to ride on that jet. nastiest lav i ever dumped

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back