How do you cure a stinky lav?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

thatpilotguy

Ok, so here's the deal. I am new to the whole lav thing, but it seems that we get an ocassional lingering odor in the lav area. What is the best way to fight this nasty smell??

I have heard that it is best to store the aircraft with the lav empty if it is not going to fly for a couple of days. Is that true?

Is there a better sustitute for the blue water? I have seen/heard of people using other options...I would love to hear what people think.

Any advice would be great...

Tell the pax, if they use it, they have to dump it. Cures all the problems. You get to find a new job. :laugh:

Go to Wal-Mart and look in the RV section. Get some of those little blue juice packets. Dump a few of those in there. Works like a charm.

I used to live in a trailer... :)

With us we had to start spraying down the carpet surrounding the lav with ozium or fabreze until we could get some shampoo on it. We're talking about a public restroom peed on the floor type smell here.

its the blue water that smells as well as piss on the floor. I dont know if storing it empty is a good idea unless you dump it and fill it and dump it and fill it and dump again since urine is very corosive, but I think blue juice is pretty corrosive as well. The reason it doesnt smell in flight is probably because it has a vent that pressurized air flows out. Coffee grounds will soak up the smell though, works for blood should work for blue juice.

Excellent. Thanks for all the advice. Is anyone using something other than the blue water? I have heard that the fractionals use something different. I was wondering if what ever they are using has a more pleasant smell. I like the bleach idea, and will give that a try. We have been using the "odor eliminator" spray from the appearance group. It seems to have no smell at all and works really well, but the bottle is small and I'm scared what it costs to replace it. Thanks for all the advice...keep it coming...

Latest resources

Back