How do they do it at EJA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

4fanman

How is the flying divvied (is that a word?) up at EJA?

Do you guys/gals alternate legs or does the capt fly with pax on board and the fo gets the empty plane?

As a rule of thumb the Capt flys the pax legs and the F/O flys the empty legs. Our SOP's allow F/O's to fly pax legs from there respective seat once both CAPT and F/O have 250 Hours in type. The restricions are: The flight is operated part 91,departure visibility must be standard or greater,forcast arrival weather must be 500/1 above the published minimums,the flight must not require program manager approval. The compnay seems to change these rules often. That being said, my experiences in my fleet (the X) the Capt always flys the pax. I do know some Capts in other fleets that swap legs if the above mentioned rules are met. Hope this helps!

our program managers are pilots who have taken a management position, a sort of fleet-supervisor who has a inside office job, that is at the company base in columbus.
Different PMs for different aircraft types
Certain situations for us to operate in or with would require a PM's approval, They also handle many other situations within their fleet.
also after 50hrs of sic time you are allowed to fly from the left seat on the repo flights. a recent change time wise. The captain must also have the appropriate expierence for a seat swap to happen.

Last edited:
The captain flys all the legs with pax? I hope that you guys fly a lot of empty legs. I would lose my mind working the radios all day. Doesn't everyone get typed at EJA? You're a type rated sic but you cant fly with pax? I am not sure I like that rule.

Yes, I was told that rule by an EJA pilot.

Good thing we don't have that rule in the airlines....FO's would never fly :)

I guess for EJA the FO is really just a gear puller where revenue flights are concerned. That's too bad they don't trust the FO's a bit more.

COEX-FO said:
Good thing we don't have that rule in the airlines....FO's would never fly :)

I guess for EJA the FO is really just a gear puller where revenue flights are concerned. That's too bad they don't trust the FO's a bit more.

The last time I checked, TRUST was earned, not deserved.

Come on guys, use your noodles here. There are two guys in the cockpit and only one can fly at a time. A newhire can fly empty legs or live legs. Which makes more sense to you, learning the ropes in an empty airplane or irritating the guy in back, that OWNS the airplane?

TRUST? EJA types you in the airplane when you are hired.
TRUST? You upgrade to left seat within your first year.
TRUST? EJA lets you fly left seat after 50 hours in type! Does ANY AIRLINE?

On the money...

EJA Capt. is on the money as usual. For what it's worth, I feel the
flying here is a lot more challenging here than (MOST) airline or commuter
work. "Black hole" circling approaches, lots of hot and high operations,
short runways, and new airports on almost every tour. The high mins.
requirements here make sense.

Sweptwingz (former commuter pilot, ag pilot, freight dog, EMS / Life Flight
pilot, aerial photography pilot, and "Line Puke")

Agree with EJA & swept

There are a lot more opportunities here at eja then the rest of you in this topic are looking at.
I've seen many captain upgrades here happen within a month or 2. most are able within a year. How many years will you spend at your job before you even find out what the left seat feels like in a jet.
There is just one of better things here at eja.
re-read ejacapt and sweptwingz post and think about it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back