Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do I get the SOE removed from my liscense?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I went to ATL FSDO the other day and got my SOE limitation removed. I didn't have my logbook, just copies of a few flight logs. Had to call the day prior to set up an appointment for security procedures. Sat down with the inspector and started flipping through flight logs and counting hours. As soon as he saw 25 hours he said that was good and issued my temp. certificate. I was in and out in 30 minutes. I have about 500 hours in the Lear now, just haven't had time to do this earlier--kept putting it off and putting it off until now.

Doc Pokenheimer

Hey Doc,

How did you log SOE time as (PIC or DUAL)? How about all the flight time AFTER you have accomplished the 25 hour SOE but have not had the limitation removed from your certificate?

The local FSDO stirred the pot when the application to have the limitation removed was turned in because SOE time and flight time logged after completion of the 25 hour SOE (with the limitation still on the certificate) was logged as "PIC". The inspector did not offer any other explanation or say what those time SHOULD be logged as. After a rash of questions (where did you get all this jet time, who do you work for, where did you get all the other jet time, etc) the new unrestricted certificate was issued but he took copies of the last 10 pages of the logbook and said to not be surprised if they call for a followup.

Thoughts and inputs please.

Last edited:
My inspector didn't have a problem with it. I was Typed in the plane, therefore able to act as PIC. It's been so long ago now that I don't remember much about our meeting, but I had my logbook and a letter from my employer, and a copy of all the flight logs to back up my logbook. He just wanted to see 25 hours PIC. Maybe my inpsector just came back from vacation and your was ready for one, or mine had been around for 30 years and yours for 3--who knows? It's like getting stopped by a cop--some feel they have something to prove and others are real laid back. (Not that I have had a lot of run-ins with the law, but I have lots of cop friends)

The individual had logbooks and other supporting documents at the time of his visit to the FSDO. He was typed and current on 2 different jet airframes. Both types were issued with SOEs because he did not have 2k total, 500 in type or 1k total in jets as per the FARs.

The reason for my question is because of the grey areas in regards to logging SOE time. In the regs under SOE, it says that one cannot be the PIC until the limitation is removed. On the another area of the regs under logging PIC, regulations say that one can log PIC if sole manipulator, acting in the capacity of PIC and typed on the a/c. Apparently this is grey enough that one inspector saw this as a problem and another didn't. I suppose when it comes down to it, it would be an interpretation of an aviation lawyer that counts.

Yes, I also agree with the cop on a good day/bad day -- I was once one.
Thanks for the response.

:) SB

Latest resources

Back