Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do I fly for a living when I can't afford it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rumpletumbler

I tried to get back into flying a couple of years ago after never really getting very far in the first place. I went back and earned a CFI but couldn't find a job without the CFII so I went and earned that. Then *blammo* it was divorce time. I had to get a job with a fixed income so I could pay $548 a month to my ex-wife and her new soon to be hubby under the guise of child support in addition to living expenses. Bottom line is without two incomes I couldn't afford to do it anymore. I'm having withdrawals and they only seem to get worse. I could try and get a job teaching on the weekends but then I give up time with my child. Her mother is absentee on her side of the equation I don't want to do that to her. A regular flying job would take me away a lot but not *every* weekend. It also might not be fair to students to not be available during the week.

Can anyone throw some ideas my way? Maybe there's something I haven't considered. I'd just really like to get fly again and would love any suggestions.

There are lots of instructor job out there that pay pretty well. I'm gonna sound like a broken record here, but Oxford Airline Training Center starts are $40k, with no "provided you do this or meet this goal: type of strings attached.

After a few months, you can move up to instrument instructor with a base of $45K. MEIs are $50k.

There is also a bonus program that pays you based on the number of hours you fly that can add up to $10K to your annual income.

The company was assisting with relocation, but I think that they're getting close to their staffing requirements so that may or may not be something that they're offering to attract applicants.

....and there's nothing wrong with living in PHX this time of year. :)

Most of my early flying career, say, the first fifteen years or so, involved two jobs. You may very well need to work at night and instruct in the day, or wait tables and instruct during the week, etc.

You might need to do the same.

I spent the first year of my separation (paying child support and alimony before the divorce) living in a hangar, flying full time, and working three jobs.

How committed are you to making it work?

I don't have an objection to having two jobs or more or living in unusual places and or situations so much.

I turn 47 in May so the whole roommate/hanger living situation doesn't have the appeal it would have had 30 years ago but I would do it.

My only reservation in that when my child visits me that she not live in a hangar etc. and again that I don't give up my time with her. Working 4 jobs doesn't sound like much time to spend with your child. I could take a cut in time to a point but a lot. These are the reasons I'm struggling thinking I could make it work. Sqwkvfr suggested the company in Phoenix which looks like a great opportunity, however, I live in the Atlanta area and I would almost never see my child if I moved to Phoenix unless that company has an arrangement with an airline.

So I guess my commitment level is not balls to the wall but definitely willing to compromise as long as it doesn't entail alienating my child.

Sqwkvfr suggested the company in Phoenix which looks like a great opportunity, however, I live in the Atlanta area and I would almost never see my child if I moved to Phoenix unless that company has an arrangement with an airline.

We don't.

But that place in Bakersfield, CA does....and they pay just slightly less or about the same as what Oxford does.

IFTA or something like that I think it is....they always have adds on findapilot or jsfirm.

I don't have an objection to having two jobs or more or living in unusual places and or situations so much.

I turn 47 in May so the whole roommate/hanger living situation doesn't have the appeal it would have had 30 years ago but I would do it.

My only reservation in that when my child visits me that she not live in a hangar etc. and again that I don't give up my time with her. Working 4 jobs doesn't sound like much time to spend with your child. I could take a cut in time to a point but a lot. These are the reasons I'm struggling thinking I could make it work. Sqwkvfr suggested the company in Phoenix which looks like a great opportunity, however, I live in the Atlanta area and I would almost never see my child if I moved to Phoenix unless that company has an arrangement with an airline.

So I guess my commitment level is not balls to the wall but definitely willing to compromise as long as it doesn't entail alienating my child.

My point was that you can do both. You may have to work a regular job in addition to flight instructing, or in addition to other flying duties (such as flying skydivers, doing part time traffic watch or power patrol, etc)...but it can be done. The early years aren't necessarily the comfortable years, and yes, it can and usually does require a certain amount of commitment.

Latest resources

Back