• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do airplanes turn?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When you turn the yoke or deflect the stick, the ailerons move in opposite directions. This causes a gyroscopic effect, which is brought on by the pull of the Earths gravitiational field. This effect causes the airplane to become heavier on one side and that side will start to be pulled torward the center of the earth while the opposite side is actually pulled upward by gravitational forces induced by the sun. Once the ailerons are nuetralized, these two opposing gravitioional forces become equal, and the airplanes stays at a specifc bank angle. Now the airplane is set up for a turn. The airplane turns because the thrust path is now lined up with the curvature of the Earth. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
NYCPilot said:
I was taught to read the previous posts before reposting the same comment.
I was taught that planes turned because pilots know that you can't make straight in approach to the Pilsner Urquell.

I forgot all about that!

UA-RESURRECTED said:
This causes a gyroscopic effect, which is brought on by the pull of the Earths gravitiational field.

Oh right!

Thanks for reminding me.

Can you elaborate on the effect of precession and magnetic dip on the turning aircraft?

Also, how much of a factor is Coriolis Effect?

I once talked to a private pilot who told me that he had to keep retrimming his airplane nose down after time in cruise. He then explained that this was due to the curvature of the earth. Mybe he took his ride with this DE.

That is awesome! I went to space one time all I had to do was stop trimming down! That's all Rutan and those guys did.

mar said:
Also, how much of a factor is Coriolis Effect?

The deal with the coriolis effect, is that most props have to move in a clockwise dirrection as seen from the cockpit. If a prop was made to rotate in the opposite dirrection, the coriolis force would negate its movement, and you wouldn't get any thrust. This is why you should never fly a prop-driven aircraft across the equator. Once you're on the other side, you will lose all thrust and will fall out of the sky.

FN FAL said:
I was taught that planes turned because pilots know that you can't make straight in approach to the Pilsner Urquell.

Yum. Pilsner Urquell. Great beer...I know a place in Park Slope bklyn where they've got'em for only $4 - compare that to $6 a piece in Manhattan....and thats at a dive price.

Latest resources

Back