• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How did you pay for flight training??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I also enlisted in the Air Guard, and I don't think I could have pulled it off without them. After Basic and Tech School one summer, I worked as many extra days there as I could. Then about 6 months later they had a full-time position open in my section and they hired me into it. So I worked there full-time (good money), went to school full-time too, and the state gave me money for tuition (varied each year between 50% and 100% depending on how many people were participating). Also, I got to fly at the Aero Club at fairly low rates. I went on several great deployments during my enlisted career, and if they did overlap into school days my professors were generally understanding. I was active on the Flight Team and a little in the fraternity too. Then to top it all off, I was selected to go to UPT after I graduated. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It was a HE!! of a lot of work but it all paid off.

I think it was an awesome experience and I highly recommend it!

I saved and saved until I could afford it and to devote the time to earning the ratings. I recommend that you never ever take a loan.

financed my training with federal stafford loans, and I'm definitely paying for it now.

And will still be paying for it for the next 20 years or so.

Make a budget for all your expenses and income, determine how much you can spend on flying. Then stick to it. Programs like Quicken can be very helpful in this regard (even for poor students!)

I worked full time and part time throughout training. Borrowed the rest and assumed debt, which took about 12 months to pay off completely by working two full time jobs.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back