Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Counselair

"He said member..."
Just curious as to how some of you guys at the better companies got hired on. Did you go through a job placement service, right place at the right time, know somebody? I'm trying to map out an efficient plan of attack.

Thanks,

Counselair:confused:

Started work for a medium sized company flying King Airs, then onto a Falcon then onto a Challenger. Gorilla Industries swallowed up said company and the two flight departments were merged out of necessity.

The military is a pretty good job placement service. Most of us in my squadron at Andrews AFB were offered unsolicited jobs while we were still in the military and were encouraged to leave the service. A manufacturer who hired one of our guys waited a year to get him. I can remember the old chief pilot of PentaStar offering one of our pilots a job, then remarking to me as an aside, " I don't really need him now, but I know I will always need guys like him."

If you're young enough (waiver age for UPT is 27 years six months)and have a four year degree, the military is not a bad way to go.

GV

GVFlyer,

Thanks for the advice. I'm 35 and was R.I.F.'d from the Air Force in '91 three months prior to U.P.T.. I served the next eight years in the I.R.R. taking the civilian route. Thanks for the reply though, hopefully it'll help someone else.

Counselair

I was in the 11th month, fourth week of a 12 month "subscription" to a placement service when I was hired by my present employer.

Two pilot's were hired since me. One was word of mouth, the other replied to a placement ad we put on the net.

Regards,
2000Flyer

2000 Flyer.... you mentioned a "subscription" to a placement service. Could you give a head's up on how I find out more about these placement services for pilots? I'm not actively searching at the present, but sure would like to keep my finger on the pulse of the market. Where do you recommend seeking such a specialized type of placement organization? Any "ins and outs" to it? Sounds like the placement service paid off in spaids...only 4 weeks into it? Excellent!

Thanks,
Blasted.

Yes...I think you guys are correct. I was probably just reading too much positive into it. But it's still nice that he was able to land a job... !

Latest resources

Back