How correct log simulator hours?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

merlin76

Can someone explain me how I can correct log simulator hour. I spoke with few CFII and their point of view is different. Can I log Duration and Simulated IFR?

Thank You

If by the term "simulator" you mean a FTD, or flight training device (as opposed to the desktop PCATD), here is what I do:

Under aircraft type I put what the manufacturer calls it (Frasca 142, AST-300, etc)

Under the column for tail number I put "SIM"

Since it is not really an airplane, I put nothing under Total Time, Duration, single or multi engine, etc.

I enter the time spent on the sim under Simulated Instrument.

Hope this helps.

Sim time

Please, please, keep it away from Total Time. Sim time is not, under any category, circumstance or definition, flight time. Log it as "Simulator" or "Ground Trainer," whichever column applies in your logbook.

If your instructor gave you instruction in the ground trainer, he/she should write it up and sign it off in the tiny comments section on each line. But he/she should NOT count it as Dual Received or Instruction Received.

My friend you are just like me at that point in my life. Trying to get eveyhour you could in the logs book. But if you are going to only do 10-15 hours in the FTD, then just use it as that a flight tranning device. Dont even worry about putting it in your log book, unless you need it for currency, ect. From the amount of time that you show 320 I would have to figure that you have most of your cert, and putting it in the book is going to really do nothing for you, expect having to explane why you lied on you resume and over stated you time by 15 hours. And finaly I have to agree with the above, what ever you do dont put it in your total time.

Certainly show the training received in your logbook; the instructor providing the training is required to put the entry in your log and sign it, IAW 61.189(a). However, as others above stated, don't include this time under any other totals aside from your simulator column.

There are exceptions; simulator training may form the basis for total experience toward certificates and the instrument rating (and type ratings), but it's best to steer clear of doing this. Despite some wonderful advances in simulator technology over the past couple of decades, sims are still viewed largely as being quite different from the aircraft they represent, and are not granted the same credence. The result is that the inclusion of simulator time among your other totals will give the appearance of padding the logbook.

Another concern with logging sim time is that it can really mess up your totals when attempting to fill out job or insurance applications. Simulator time is not flight time. Under 61.1(b)(12)(ii), it is pilot time, but you're much better off keeping it all by its' lonesome.

I keep simulator time and flight engineer time in my logbook, but those times don't reflect any other column in the logbook, and as a result don't interfere with other totals. In this manner I can still show the experience, but there is no hint of impropriety or mixing of experience.

Just a note. From what I recall, if you mean "simulator" to be a PCATD, FTD (e.g. a Frasca, ATC-920, etc., etc.) or other type of trainer, these are not simulators according to the FAA. They are just that: PCATDs or Flight Training Devices, as appropriate.

To officially be a simulator, the device must have some sort of motion simulation.

But regardless, no I would not put that time in Total Time, under any circumstance.

I am going to revive this thread because there is currently a discussion going on that a PCATD is legal for IFR currency. Can anybody quote actual regulations spefically stating that is is permissable to log the approaches completed on a PCATD and count them towards instrument currency?

Reading these two should help clear it up.

FAR 61.51 (g)

FAR 61.57 (c)

Actually, FTD/SIM time can be logged and included as "Total Time" just not "Flight Time" (2 totally different categories).

Under Part 61:

2.5 hours can apply towards the 40 TT for Private -- 61.109(i)(1)
20 hours can apply towards the IR -- 61.65 (e)(2)
50 hours applied towards the 250 TT for Commercial -- 61.129(i)(1)(i)
50 hours applied toward the ATP 1500 TT -- 61.159(a)(ii)

Keep in mind, though, the 50 hours ATP/50 hours COM/20 hours IR are total. So if you had 50 hours FTD, for example, when you got a COMM, then any future FTD time will not be credited towards the ATP, but the 50 you have will.

Additionally, a CFI/CFII cannot log FTD time as "dual [flight time] given" for the same reason a pilot cannot log it as flight time.

FTD time can be applied towards the 135 IFR mins as well. But you can look that one up yourself :D

Latest resources

Back