Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How can you determine if a route is beyond VHF coverage?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Beetle007

Is there any Jeppesen chart symbol that tells you if a route or area is beyond VHF coverage (i.e., would require an HF radio).

Is there any Jeppesen chart symbol that tells you if a route or area is beyond VHF coverage (i.e., would require an HF radio).

Unlike my heroic brothers on the East, I just fly domestic. FWIW, when I can't hear the controllers anymore, I figure that's a good indicator that I've gone beyond VHF coverage. Hope that helps.

It's in the legend section of the Jepp chart.

The symbol is "F.U." short for "frequency unavailable". That's when I pull out my sextant and start reporting my position with Morse Code via my on board Marconi.

You are usually handed off prior to loosing VHF range. You'll get a primary HF and a back up freq. You can usually hear the VHF for awhile afterwards though. But, after the SELCAL checks good, I usually tune in 121.5 and 123.45 and enjoy the quiet.

As far as a specific chart, I haven't specifically looked. I will next time since my curiosity has been jabbed.

Latest resources

Back