Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How can we make clean-green airplanes that travel as fast as typical passenger jets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

guy_liking_pretty_planes

What form of energy could be used as a fossil-fuels alternative? How about some kind of "energy beams" as in the Starship Enterprise?

Cold Fusion, Zero-Point Modules or Dilithium Crystals are a few of the SF solutions...windmills and solar panels as we know them just aren't going to cut the mustard!

Biodiesel/Jet Fuel are interesting options but like gasohol I'm not sure that the returns are worth the energy input...

The really funny thing is that the vacuous All Out Crazy, author of the Green New Deal is incapable of grasping the simple fact that without chemical fertilizers and pesticides, diesel powdered farm equipment and trucks/locomotives/oil burning ships there is no way to feed the population of the planet-if she wants to do something constructive how about collecting all that dangerous methane from cow farts and using it as fuel?

There isn't enough arable land to grow enough hay to feed the horses it would take to replace modern farm equipment, to say nothing of the fact that crops couldn't be harvested fast enough to prevent spoilage...

Last edited:
Cold Fusion, Zero-Point Modules or Dilithium Crystals are a few of the SF solutions...windmills and solar panels as we know them just aren't going to cut the mustard!

Biodiesel/Jet Fuel are interesting options but like gasohol I'm not sure that the returns are worth the energy input...

The really funny thing is that the vacuous All Out Crazy, author of the Green New Deal is incapable of grasping the simple fact that without chemical fertilizers and pesticides, diesel powdered farm equipment and trucks/locomotives/oil burning ships there is no way to feed the population of the planet-if she wants to do something constructive how about collecting all that dangerous methane from cow farts and using it as fuel?

There isn't enough arable land to grow enough hay to feed the horses it would take to replace modern farm equipment, to say nothing of the fact that crops couldn't be harvested fast enough to prevent spoilage...The

The single biggest problem on planet Earth is overpopulation. We need to start embracing Mother Nature and the sciences. We need to advance the sciences far and wide. We need to bury this notion of a bearded God, angels and devils once and for all and start thinking long-term feasibilty. We need to burn books written by ancient middle-eastern hemp-smoking sheep-humpers forever. That stuff is long gone. It's old hat. We need to reduce the population to a Mother Earth green level. Smart, unselfish and educated people adopt babies and don't make new ones. If the human species doesn't find a sensible energy solution soon, Mother Nature and Father Time will eventually prevail and Man won't like it the way the True God of the Universe, Mother Nature and Father Time collectively, does it.

Well, I am going to disagree with your animistic Mother Nature/Father Time on the grounds that it is even more primitive than any monotheistic belief system. The fact is that humans frack up anything they touch beyond any recognition including how to understand their creator.

It is human nature and do-gooder humanistic interference that bears as much responsibility for that overpopulation as anything else...well, and it feels good to practice making babies of course! But to the point-and you are likely too young to remember this and it isn't taught because it illustrates the unintended consequences and abject failure of the humanistic global movement-in the 1960's people were starving in India because their 5000 year old farming processes couldn't feed the population.

Enter the UN and all of their efforts to help the starving Indian people and bring their "emerging economy" into the so called First World. Vaccines and antibiotics were distributed. They worked with various seed and chemical providers and taught Indian farmers to use hybridized, high yield grains, chemical fertilizers and pesticides.

What they didn't do for the people who authored the Kama Sutra is give them the pill and a metric crap-ton of condoms!

Not only has this epic example of humanist failure spawned the worst industrial accident in human history (no, you probably shouldn't build a massive pesticide factory in a third-world dump that can't afford to maintain it!),Dec. 3, 1984: Bhopal, 'Worst Industrial Accident in History'

India can no longer produce enough food domestically to feed the population and hunger is again rearing it's ugly head...let's have a golf clap for the UN. Heck, they got us into Korea and Viet Nam too!

I've spent time in India and it is desperately messed up and the root causes are greed (greed that predates the English Colonial period mind you) and humanistic do-goodery from the idiots in the "First World" who should know better!

Since you agree that the world is over populated, who do you propose is qualified to make the choice about who gets turned into Soylent Green?

And thus here we are...

God gave humans incredible problem solving capacity and potential for learning and granted the free will to mess all of that up!

Last edited:
I don't propose killing innocent people off to reduce our numbers. We will all die anyway. Perhaps world governments should intervene on fertility control as in China. We as a species need to throttle back the rate at which we remake ourselves. Adoption and unselfishness is the way to go. What "feels good" to do is not always good indeed. Same-sex matings feel just as good and make no babies. Sugar, fat and salt tastes good but it is horrible for one's health in a certain quantity. The Native Americans were a primitive society that never overpopulated just like the wolves in North America never overpopulated. The biggest way to change man's selfish ways is through sound education. Embrace homosexuality for pleasure widely. The most educuated people in the world perhaps parent no more than two biological children. Dumb bible-thumping hicks make babies like rats.

Last edited:
Nope, I'm a believer and my wife and I only had one child. Even when so called well educated liberals spread their own intolerant generalities they reveal the absolute depth of their own ignorance while so desperately pretending to be better.

Dude, it's every bit as sad as your so called dumb Bible-thumping hicks! What characterization would you make of the unwed black woman (no, she's a citizen of the United States who has never been out of the country, not an "African-American") who has 7 children by 5 different men? Common, tell the truth!

I've worked with some African Americans-some had dark skin and some had light skin but they were all born in Africa and worked to legally become naturalized citizens of the USA...

You're smart enough to see that there are some really grave issues facing mankind so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume that you can understand the distinction that was just made. It does not matter the source of whatever dogma you adhere to they all have one thing in common. They were all passed on by a fallible and biased humans and therefore none can be perfect because humans are all fracked up.

My own corollary to that-

Given the flawed nature of humans, the more humanistic a dogma is the more fracked up it will be.

Perhaps we should move on and you can explain the forces that ended the last Ice Age and why the climate as measured in, er, say 1972 was better than now and it shouldn't have changed from that perfect balance...as if the climate has ever been fixed and humans are smart enough to determine what is perfect of course-in spite of what your gods of nature and time have done in the past or will do in the future!

Last edited:
Now, what about those clean-green jet-fast airplanes of the future? Jets only run on fossil fuels as of now. There is no way in the devil planet earth's petroleum reserves will last another 1,000 years at the rate it's used even today. Mother Nature and Father Time has man's fate sealed. If man can't sort it out, nature and time will always do that. Man's stupidity is largely accountable for so much suffering on earth.

I've been about cutting the Arabs off at the Petro-Dollar since 1974...

Nice deflection-why haven't any of algore's dire predictions come true ten years past their due date or more?

Hydrogen is the perfect fuel for combustion engines-except for procuring it and of course the waste heat output associated with combustion engines that is somehow never factored into global warming paranoia...but I digress

For hydrogen in useful quantities we'd need some highly efficient fusion power source that would make the electrolysis process economical-perhaps even using the water to be split as a coolant first to increase its energy state (dang near plasma perhaps?) and decrease the required electrical power...

Of course with an efficient enough fusion process ducted fans could be run directly without combustion.

How about this-using the airframe as a very large capacitor and flying from thunderstorm to thunderstorm and collecting electrical energy?

I've been about cutting the Arabs off at the Petro-Dollar since 1974...

Nice deflection-why haven't any of algore's dire predictions come true ten years past their due date or more?

Hydrogen is the perfect fuel for combustion engines-except for procuring it and of course the waste heat output associated with combustion engines that is somehow never factored into global warming paranoia...but I digress

For hydrogen in useful quantities we'd need some highly efficient fusion power source that would make the electrolysis process economical-perhaps even using the water to be split as a coolant first to increase its energy state (dang near plasma perhaps?) and decrease the required electrical power...

Of course with an efficient enough fusion process ducted fans could be run directly without combustion.

How about this-using the airframe as a very large capacitor and flying from thunderstorm to thunderstorm and collecting electrical energy?
Watching the Starship Enterprise on Star Trek has inspired me with such notions. That ship in theory must use some form of energy beams as thrust in outer space. Can't use ducted fans in zero atmosphere conditions. No air in outer space as a thrust medium. I believe the engines are possibly nuclear. Would this principal work for fast aircraft inside earth's atmosphere? The future of energy lies in advanced physics and chemistry. Imagine jet planes thrusted by energy beams. They ought to be super quiet.

Latest resources

Back