How 'bout ATP?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Metro752 said:
I like ATP. Why don't you give them a call.

What an endorsement!! Time to close the book on em :D

Just curious, they aren't far from me and soon I'll have the magic 1500 to go take the ride. Thread has had several views and no negative comments so I'll go over and have a look around.

ps- nice avatar

Well what do you need? an ATP?

They do that in a 4 day course, I've seen a few guys do it, one of them did it in 4 days, the others, since it was an out station and not in perfect weather Florida, took 5 days. WX always comes into play.

You get one instructor to be totally yours all day for four days, or however long it takes.

Everything is really custom fit around your schedule. So if you cannot do it in four consecutive days, then you don't.

http://www.atpflightschool.com/programs/certificates/atp/atp_and_written.html

The simulators are great for getting the flows down in the Seminole. I do not believe you are really limited to time in those. Just when they are available, beyond what the program included, which is quite a bit.

They will send you the ATP Piper Seminole Training Supplement before you go, you will really want to know that thing from front to back cover. It's small sized like a POH, and not nearly that thick.

I'm sure theres tons of guys who can comment about it on here. It's a lot of studying in a short amount of time. Eat Sleep Airplanes for 4 days, and the few days you take to learn the supplement before you arrive and all the other materials.

I'm curious also as I'm headed to LA to do the MEI at ATPs...I've got 2 days to get it done. Well, a day and a half (Tuesday night, Wednesday AM and checkride Wednesday PM).

From what I've heard / read they teach you the checkride and want you to learn the rest on your own, but how is the instruction really?

Deails would be great!

Thanks!

-mini

I've seen a few people fail their MEL and ATP ride at ATP.
It all depends - not necessarily a guaranteed ride.

If I were you, I'd buy the Gleim ATP written book and study it before going down there. One less thing to worry about. Their computers are old at some locations and god knows, you don't want to sit in those old uncomfortable chairs studying the test when you're not flying.

Go to a location that has the sim, this is very helpful.
As someone else commented, know the seminole booklet in and out. They also have an audio of the booklet as well. This can be downloaded off their website once you're registered.

Also, try to schedule all your training in the same plane. The differences between planes can slow the process down.

I can't speak for the LA location; however, I did mine in Bowling Green and it met my needs.

I did, however, study the Seminole stuff they sent me (and knew it) before I arrived for training.

I had a 20-ish instructor who could fly and talk about the Seminole acceptably. There's nothing wrong with being young -- we all have to start somewhere -- but he hadn't done much more than get his ratings and go to work for ALLATP's. It was my impression that he'd never seen anyone get into an unfamiliar airplane and do a steep turn series while holding a constant altitude and airspeed. He told me the instructors in many of their locations had stories similar to his.

In my opinion, ALLATP's accelerated courses are great for self-starters with a bit of flight time under their belts who want to do it quickly -- and former military pilots converting to FAA ratings -- but, in the time their syllabi are programmed for, I wouldn't expect to learn much more than how to pass the practical exam.

Latest resources

Back