Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Career mired in mud

Sorry, couldn't help it. :D

I'll assume for discussion's sake the Captain has Canadian licenses. If I were him I'd send in a CYA NASA report, which might save him from an FAA violation but not a Transport Canada violation.

I'd say this incident could be a career killer or a career truncater. Undoubtedly this incident will show up in NTSB files and elsewhere, so it can be found out. The pilot will have to fess up on applications and face tough interview questions, if he get that far. I know that companies take a dim view of pilots who run their aircraft off paved surfaces, i.e. runways and taxiways. I remember that several years ago some American captain drove his airplane off a taxiway in OKC. One of the mains landed in the mud. I recall in that incident this captain was a short-timer, only a few days away from retirement.

When I was at the University of Illinois a few years ago, President Clinton and Vice President Al Gore came to Champaign on a publicity tour or something. Air Force One flew into/out of CMI and the local news was obviously televising the arrival and departure of the President's B707. As Air Force One was leaving the ramp, the pilot took a turn onto the taxiway a little too tight and ended up putting the right main in the mud! He applied power hoping to get himself out, but didn't have any luck - the mud was up to the rim of the wheel. They had to fly in a backup B707, transfer the President and all his staff to the new plane and departed without incident. The other plane was stuck there over night while they waited for a crane to come and lift it out of the mud.

......I wonder what that pilot is doing now?

How about a year ago tim mellon ran a boeing727 off the run way and the federales didnt touch him because hes good friends with hanoi jane garvey mellon is the guy who bought the assets of pan am

It is the easiest thing in the world to do.If I had my way I would have a follow-me truck take me to and from the runway anyday. Just a year ago in a blizzard in the NE we started engines and were taxing along the ramp, we were heading to what we thought was the active taxiway till a UPS airplane taxied on the real taxiway. A month later after all the snow was gone I found that we were ready to taxi through a shallow ditch to the active taxiway. Thanks UPS.

Before all you guys start throwing sticks and stones, yes we had the taxi diagram out and were doing all the professional things that professional pilot's do. Sometimes I think that we are expected to do the impossible for all off you that have departed with 6X6X6 in blowing snow and winds over 35Kts. At that point this job becomes no fun...

Give it a rest...

Paved taxiways, runways?

ohh how I wish sometimes.

No kidding, after all 300 of your hours, it must be starting to wear on you, huh?

I see it so many times on the ramp at Dallas love, a lear or MU-2 stuck in the mud.

But is it true that a NASA report can help you avoiding a violation? And what is the theory behind that??

"No kidding, after all 300 of your hours, it must be starting to wear on you, huh?"

Can't you see the humour in anything?

I think it's time you got off your soap box.

Latest resources

Back