Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How are you dealing with the new TSA liquid Ban?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only thing you are allowed to bring is a jar of Vasaline... ...oh wait nevermind... ... your going to have to take it dry. I shouldn't post this and give the TSA any ideas.

Has anyone tried commuting in street clothes? You'd think if they trusted a crew badge enough to let you through security they'd let you carry toothpaste.

Midnight Flyer said:
I'm not a scientist or anything, but how is toothpaste considered a liquid?

Since you asked-- a liquid is a substance in a phase state characterized by constant volume but indefinite shape-- it is fluid, like air, but it doesn't expand to fill its container. Toothpaste is a liquid of very high viscosity, as are peanut butter and honey. Viscosity is the ratio of tangential friction force per unit area to the velocity gradient perpendicular to the direction of flow. (And all that is just a fancy way of saying it flows really slowly.)

NW_Pilot said:
Well, Not as of right Now!!! Give it a few months!!

Don't know what ramp you're on, but we just had our flight school TSA Inspection.

I asked 'em why they didn't pay attention when we did have a problem, "It's not our job."

So we're filling out reams of paperwork for every flight student, but if one doesn't have the right paperwork, we're supposed to do nothing, except point out which paperwork the person needs to provide (forge).

And, if I'm missing a single piece of paperwork from anybody I've trained in the last 5 years, I can immediately lose all FAA certificates held and face a prison term along with a stiff fine.

But don't worry, if the paperwork is not complete, and I don't train the person, we're fine. That person will just move on to the next school, ala. Hani Hanjour.

Good job TSA! [/sarcasm]

Alamanach said:
Viscosity is the ratio of tangential friction force per unit area to the velocity gradient perpendicular to the direction of flow. (And all that is just a fancy way of saying it flows really slowly.)
The scary part is I actually understood that.

WGP guy said:
The scary part is I actually understood that.
The only part I understand is "it flows real slow"

Alamanach said:
Since you asked-- a liquid is a substance in a phase state characterized by constant volume but indefinite shape-- it is fluid, like air, but it doesn't expand to fill its container. Toothpaste is a liquid of very high viscosity, as are peanut butter and honey. Viscosity is the ratio of tangential friction force per unit area to the velocity gradient perpendicular to the direction of flow. (And all that is just a fancy way of saying it flows really slowly.)

Um, sorry but toothpaste is a suspension and not a liquid.

WGP guy said:
Um, sorry but suspension isn't a state of matter.
IIRC its a combination of liquid and solid. Sort of like how whipped cream is a combination of liquid and gas.

How specific is the liquid ban? Does it state certain products, or is it generic about liquids?

Latest resources

Back