Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How are you dealing with the new TSA liquid Ban?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Midnight Flyer

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I've been on vacation since this new ban has taken effect. I start my trip in a couple of days and am going to deadhead out before my trip.

I've read thru several threads on here regarding the TSA liquid ban, but just mainly people complaining over the inconvenience it causes, etc. Besides, every other person you talk to say the ban dosent affect pilots or whatever, I'm not wanting to start another thread arguing over that; I just want to be prepared for the worst, so I'm assuming that pilots must comply with the ban just like everyone else.

I understand not being able to take mouthwash..no big deal to me, I didn't pack it to begin with. Shampoo and soap is no big deal either, as every hotel I've ever stayed at provides those items for free in the rooms.

My question is, toothpaste and gel based deodorant/anti-perspirant. I'm not a scientist or anything, but how is toothpaste considered a liquid? Just because something has liquid contained in it, is the TSA considering it liquid for security purposes? I personally use the gel based deoderants/anti-perspirant. Has anyone had trouble getting any type of deodorant thru security?
I figure I could use dry baking soda to brush my teeth with, if need be. I also carry those sani-wipes for cleaning my sunglasses with..they have water in them, do you think they'll take those?

Also some other things I've always carried:
Thermos of coffee
Hand sanitizing gel
nasal spray

Just wanting to hear some of your experiences and how some of you are making it thru security and what they are/aren't allowing regarding essential toiletry items.

Last edited:
...no TSA on the GA ramp, my toothpaste stays in the bag ;)

Just commute in uniform and you can bring everything through you normally would. Not sure about the coffee, but everything else should be good to go.

Stick the coffee in your underwear, and when the TSA wants to know what the brown stains are, you can tell them you sharted.

At least that wouldn't be a lie!!:laugh:

Relax, as long as you are in uniform you can take any liquids you want. I recommend that you keep them in your bag, so as not to have a civilian uproar. When your bags go through the machine, the TSA guy/gal might ask if it is your bag or not. I did hear one example of a co-worker who had to down a 32-ounce Nalgene of water before he went through, but that was immediately after the initial announcement. All of the TSA personnel are by now well aware that crewmembers working, deadheading, or commuting can take what they want.

By the way, been through checkpoints probably 10 times in the last 3 days with-hand sanitizer, lens wipes, suntan lotion, water, toothpaste, hair gel... no problems at all. When commuting home today (in uniform for once), the TSA agents at the gate didn't even give a second look.

NW_Pilot said:
Well, Not as of right Now!!! Give it a few months!!
I can see it now: "Sorry sir, you'll have to check that." "Uhh...I'm flying a 172."

Latest resources

Back