• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Houston to Atlanta commute?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you live in IAH, go work for XJT. Why the hell would you commute to work for ASA?

Or any of the other half dozen DCI carriers with present or impending ATL bases......

Well, if its anything like DFW, it's extremely tough in the summer, around the holiday, and the entire month of March (spring brk). Other than that, its probably manageable. The good thing about HOU/IAH, is you've got Continental, Air Tran, and delta to ride on. However, if you are coming to work for ASA, our pass benefits take a serious dump in Dec and you will now be behind retirees and have to pay (per leg and per mile. TOTAL BS!!!!).

If you have the option to go elsewhere, ie Express Jet or even AE in DFW, I would recommend you do that. Commuting is very tough and ASA is very bad right now.

If its not ASA, congrats!

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
It's doable. But it is a pain in the arse. I never had to do it alot as I was EWR based mainly. But I did it enough to know it can be a pain. I was commuting to IAH and between EWR and IAH I think IAH was easier. IAH had more pilots doing the commute and there are several RJ's on it which if your not working for that carrier could make it tough. I also didn't like to do the commuter shuffle. Jumping from terminals A to C back to B and then back to A trying to make the next flight after getting bumped by full planes and jumpseaters. At least that was my last experience. Went through security like 5 times and spent all day trying to get home. It was not the best experience inthe world. Ended up getting on a 73's second jumpseat. Sucked

I do the opposite commute (ATL-IAH-ATL). It's not always easy, but I never have to come in the night before, and I've never gotten stuck in IAH at the end of a trip (knock on wood). Your mileage will vary depending on your schedule. Not sure what HOU-ATL looks like on the Tranny. In any case, it's always better to live in base.

CHQ has alot of the IAH to ATL flying now so chances of getting the jumpseat are very slim. There are lots of XJT pilots that do the commute, not sure about CAL. Come work for XJT if you live in IAH.

Latest resources

Back