• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hot Starts on Fuel Injected Engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just use the flooded start first try when the engine is hot. (Throttle: FULL, Mixture, IDLE CUT OFF). I don't prime at all, and I don't turn on the fuel pump. It usually works like a charm.

-Goose

User997 said:
I can tell you from experience just last week that particular method doesn't work too well!

I had a guy in a Mooney try to hot start his Lycoming engine (235 hp, wheveter identifier that gives it) and he flooded it BAD and QUICK! I suspect that had he not threw the fuel pump on, that we'd been allright. Even the mechanic couldn't get it properly started afterwards.

Before it was all over with we had a nice set of fouled spark plugs, lots of black smoke shooting out of the exhaust, and we ended up needing a mechanic to get us fixed up before heading home.

impossible to flood it with the pump off and the throttle all the way out.

Dont use the fuel pump on a hot start. I just leave the mixure where it is, ICO, and bump the throttle up to about half way, then back down to 1/4 inch from idle and she will start right up. If you leave the fuel pump on for more than 3 or 4 seconds, even with mixture at ICO, it will flood it. Even on cold starts, you dont want to leave the fuel pump on for more than about 5 seconds. I do cold starts with mixture at about 3/4 or so. But all this is for Lycoming IO-360's.

Hey guys, I am convinced, I mean convinced, that every engine has a mind of its own. What works on the left engine, does not work on the right engine. When push comes to shove, get out of the fricking airplane, and kick the hell out of the engine. It may not start, but the lineboy will love it. Go get a Pepsi.

www.bdkingpress.com

Latest resources

Back