• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

uwochris

Flightinfo's sexiest user
Hey guys,

I've been reading some of Deakin's articles on his mixture/leaning techniques. In one of the articles he discusses hot starts on fuel injected engines. He recommends that you turn the fuel pump on (high), pull the mixture back to ICO, and let it sit for about 60-90 seconds.

Now I have never heard of this procedure before, nor have I ever been taught it by my instructors back when I was training. The principle here is to circulate cool fuel into and through the engine-driven fuel pump, up to the FCU, and then back through the vapour return-lines to the fuel tank.

So, has anyone here ever used this technique? If so, does it work?

Secondly, would this technique work if the mixture control were NOT set to ICO? Or, would this severely flood the engine? My understanding is that as long as the mixture control is at idle-cutoff, the fuel pump simply circulates fuel through the bypass and back to the fuel tank, causing no flooding.

Thanks for all comments,
Chris.

I have never heard of doing this before on a fuel injected engine. Usually if the engine is hot I will just completly avoid priming it. Seems to work well for both all of the Cessna models and the Cirrus.

This works good on I0-470 & I0-520 engines. It does not work on I0-540. On the big Continental with the throttle & mixture back and the pump on you are putting hot fuel back into the tank as cool fuel from the tank returns to the engine.

HEADWIND

Almost right

This proceedure will work on fuel injected Continentals, but not on Lycomings. The Bendix RSA fuel injection system doesn't have a fuel return like the TCM system does.

My experience is that it greatly reduces the need to tickle the HP pump on the TCM IO-520 that is often necessary after a hot start.

I used it all the time in 172Rs with Lycomming IO-320. Worked like clock work.

DI just did it for 20 seconds or so.

I can tell you from experience just last week that particular method doesn't work too well!

I had a guy in a Mooney try to hot start his Lycoming engine (235 hp, wheveter identifier that gives it) and he flooded it BAD and QUICK! I suspect that had he not threw the fuel pump on, that we'd been allright. Even the mechanic couldn't get it properly started afterwards.

Before it was all over with we had a nice set of fouled spark plugs, lots of black smoke shooting out of the exhaust, and we ended up needing a mechanic to get us fixed up before heading home.

Latest resources

Back