Hot Air Balloon Rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vetteracer

I am thinking of getting my Hot Air Balloon rating, what will I have to do, what are the requirements?

I have a current CFI, and of course the usual suspects as well.

My friend is going to let me use his balloon so there will be no problem there, I just have to find an instructor around where I live.

Also, can I instruct in a hot air balloon once I have my rating, using my CFI?

Thanks

Mark

vetteracer said:
I am thinking of getting my Hot Air Balloon rating, what will I have to do, what are the requirements?

I have a current CFI, and of course the usual suspects as well.

My friend is going to let me use his balloon so there will be no problem there, I just have to find an instructor around where I live.

Also, can I instruct in a hot air balloon once I have my rating, using my CFI?

Thanks

Mark
I've guestioned the same thing, I'm just too lazy to pick up my FAR and find out myself.

There is no CFI rating for hot air balloons. Any comercial pilot (balloon that is) can give instruction.

Other than that, you are simply adding another catagory and class to your comercial liscense. Same as adding multi engine to your comm/SEL.

Hope you're a morning person.

Looking through part 61, it appears that if you want to instruct, you will need to obtain a commercial certificate in lighter than air (balloon). Therefore, you will need to have the balloon knowledge specified in 61.127b(8) and the flight experience in 61.129h. With a commercial certificate, 61.133a(2)(ii) will let you instruct and sign off endorsements in balloon instruction.

Hey thanks, when I got home I checked the FAR's as well. So as a airman with an ATP/COMM will I have to take the writtens, or as I assume, as mentioned it is just an add on.

I wonder if I can do the rating and get the comm rating and bypass the private.

Thanks.

Yeah, the morning thing sucks, but I have flown the balloon many times, with my friend, and he let me fly it every time. Really wierd, they have very slow response time. You have to plan everything. Who would have thought that floating on a bag of hot air would be so fun, but they are a blast.

Mark

vetteracer said:
I wonder if I can do the rating and get the comm rating and bypass the private.
Mark
Certainly. I had a rotorcraft commercial when I added on my airplane commercial never having had a private in either. The first time I did turns across a road as a maneuver was when I was getting my airplane CFI.

Latest resources

Back