• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hortman Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is very so possible to instruct for them. You will get put up on answering phones until you take an opening at one of there schools that you wish to teach out of. But, if you willing to go anywhere, then you will get a CFI job real fast with no problems. Talk to you later.

Wow Hortman Aviation.. Got my Commercial Instrument rating with them in the 70's, when they were in Morrisville, PA. Felt my Instrument training was a little lacking at the time. I was restoring a Cub at the time and Capt. Hortman told me to only fly the Cub locally...so when I finished the project, I flew it to Los Angeles and back. So much fun. Glad I didn't listen to him.

I don't want to bash anyone or company here but I've known the operation at PNE for many years. I don't rent from Hortman, I've limited my bizz with them/him to just taking my COMM/CFI and FE written there. After I got my CFI (1997) I inquired about part time instructing there and they wanted me to pay for my checkouts plus be around while I didn't have students sked. At the time I was instructing in a club and had a full-time 135 job and also flew traffic part time from PNE so I didn't look any further into instructing with them.

I have a very good friend that instructed there then went on to 123/121 with other companies. He is now out of aviation but still flies and instructs but he would not go back there if you know what I mean. He is not the only one in the area that feels that way if you know what I mean, However outside of the time they wanted me to pay for my checkouts to work for them personally I have never had a beef with them or the owner.

I would recommend ALL ATP's in TTN as I used them in 99 to do my ATP. The program was good but as with any school alot depends on your instructor. I had a great instructor but know guys that had used the TTN ATP branch and had a diff instructor that wasn't as good as the one I had and have a diff opinion. In the future I plan on doing my CFII and will use the ATP TTN branch if I'm still in the area.

Hope it helps, PM me if you need specific info. Also one guy mentioned the ABE outfit, I've herd good things about them up there from other people.

Latest resources

Back