Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

turbodriver

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2005/0722/local/stories/01local.htm

(I just happened to have a copy of this magazine handy)

"While our 70-seat CRJ-700 regional jets and Q400 high-speed turboprops are equipped with auxiliary power units that keep our planes cool on the ground and in the air, our stalwart 37-seat Q200s lack the equipment necessary to condition the air while on the ground. To address this, our maintenance teams implemented modifications to our air-circulation system that significantly increased the efficiency of our ground cooling fans. Then, working with our customer-service teams, they were able to identify a mobile air-conditioning unit that, with minor modification, allows us to pour cool air into the Q200’s passenger compartment for added comfort."

Jeff Pinneo, CEO, June 2004

So much comfort a baby almost dies from heat exhaustion. What an airline.

So, el-cheapo Jeff doesn't want any APU's in his dash 8-200 huh? Till someone dies that is. I even heard from a buddy that an internal memo exists that told pilots that the exteral A/C they use on this aircraft wasn't availiable for all flights and that about half the time, people just had to suffer in the heat. I'm sure the media would love to get a copy of that memo. I also heard that the ramp supervisiors in SEA were telling rampers not to attach the A/C to the aircraft becasue they were short staffed and on time performance was more important than the well being of customers. Can anybody confirm this?

This could be any one of our kids.

Last edited:
Ygtbsm

Ground A/C cart didn't work? The DHC-8-200 wasn't cool enough at 19k in cruise? You should have to come spend a couple days in Hawaii sitting in the cockpit of one of our splendid DHC-8-100s. How about 829? It won't quite make 110 degrees but, what the heck, it's a moist heat!

The -200 was the greatest thing we'd ever seen at WP and they're complaining it was too hot. No wonder you guys at Horizon get paid so much. Must be to make up for all the inferior equipment and broken ground A/C carts.

Frigging pansies. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me guess, you didn't pass the interview at horizon, so you mock us now. If you're willing to work for such little money, then you deserve to live in your car.

By the way, 90% of us don't get paid that much, only the RJ captains. Our contract is based only on career RJ pilots.

QXbuzzard said:
Let me guess, you didn't pass the interview at horizon, so you mock us now. If you're willing to work for such little money, then you deserve to live in your car.

Amen to that

Dude, chill (pun intended). You guys are a little sensitive. I have no idea how much your CRJ guys make but the DHC-8 is still higher than WP. Point is that at WP we'd take your "hot" 200s in a heartbeat. Hell, we'll even trade for the 100s you sold us.

dispatcher121 said:
I was working in dispatch that night. I just talked to the dispatcher who had that flight. The Captain diverted the flight as a courtesy because the parents were freaking. The child fell asleep from the heat...which is normal for a child of that age. (Keeping in mind that they began their day in LAS.) The child never required any further medical attention nor hospitalization.​

Yes the a/c was hot due to the temps the POAT was 29C and it was a "full boat". The aircraft DOES get pretty hot when it is full...but NOT 110F. There were no MEL deferments on the aircraft regarding the gasper vents. All were working.

As far as the "air carts" go, Horizon is the ONLY carrier who offers cool air for the flights on the ground in aircraft that are not equipped with APU's (Note: It's not possible to equip a DH8B with an APU). This equipment is new and they are still working out the "bugs". Some stations don't have enough "air carts" to accommodate all their traffic....yet.

Side note: Just as the pilot's contract is based on senior CRJ Captains, so is the DX contract based on senior (10+ years) dispatchers. (We make less than FO's.)

Do you work for McSkinning on the side?

turbodriver said:
Do you work for McSkinning on the side?
First of all, quit being a dick.

Second of all, being that you have "lots" of aircraft experience and ratings, and at least 5000 hours of flight time, you should know better than to take the media's report of any incident involving an airplane as factual information.

No, it didn't help that we had a complete moron (McSkimming) making statements for the company, but that's beside the point.

dispatcher121 said:
As far as the "air carts" go, Horizon is the ONLY carrier who offers cool air for the flights on the ground in aircraft that are not equipped with APU's (Note: It's not possible to equip a DH8B with an APU).

Horizon is not the ONLY carrier that uses air carts for cooling. Eagle uses them for their Saabs. I'm sure other carriers do as well.

Latest resources

Back