Horizon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yank McCobb said:
I think most of the Horizon pilots, as well as the rest of the Horizon employees, will be glad to be off the sinking Frontier ship.

Say what? From what I had heard, Horizon was quite happy with the Frontier operations.

PumpkinPony said:
Say what? From what I had heard, Horizon was quite happy with the Frontier operations.

It is a mystery what he meant by the Frontier comment. The Horizon Frontier agreement is mutually accepted as strong. As goes for Frontier..they are holding their own quite well.

dkwid said:
It is a mystery what he meant by the Frontier comment. The Horizon Frontier agreement is mutually accepted as strong. As goes for Frontier..they are holding their own quite well.

If by "quite well" you mean losing money, then you are correct.:confused:

QCappy said:
If by "quite well" you mean losing money, then you are correct.:confused:

I think it is accurate to say "holding their own" in the industry at present with UAL in two plus years of Chapter 11 would include a company like Frontier with small quarter over quarter losses and conservative growth.

Hey Skid, where'd you find the info on Horizon going to UND in April? I scanned Horizon's website and couldn't find a thing....

They're flying more, but still not making money. This excerpt is from their news release regarding last year's results:

Horizon Air's passenger traffic in the fourth quarter increased 36.8 percent on a 28.1 percent capacity increase. Horizon's load factor increased by 4.4 percentage points to 71.7 percent compared to the same period in 2003. Horizon's operating revenue per ASM decreased 17.2 percent, while its operating cost per ASM excluding fuel and the impairment charge decreased 18.1 percent. The decrease in Horizon's revenue per ASM and cost per ASM excluding fuel is largely due to the addition of Horizon's contract flying for Frontier Airlines. This flying represented 23.1 percent of Horizon's capacity during the fourth quarter and 9.9 percent of its passenger revenues. Horizon's pretax loss for the quarter was $1.6 million, compared to a pretax income of $5.4 million in 2003. Excluding the unusual items referenced above, Horizon's pretax income was $1.8 million for the quarter.

I would think that until those losses go away they won't be hiring much, despite the increased capacity. Maybe just replenishing the ranks, but that's a guess. I'd love to work up in the Northwest, but not a lot of airline options at the moment.

Question to y'all: Why would the contract with Frontier decrease their revenue per ASM?

Hasta, Navin

NavinRJohnson said:
Hey Skid, where'd you find the info on Horizon going to UND in April? I scanned Horizon's website and couldn't find a thing....

They're flying more, but still not making money. This excerpt is from their news release regarding last year's results:

Horizon Air's passenger traffic in the fourth quarter increased 36.8 percent on a 28.1 percent capacity increase. Horizon's load factor increased by 4.4 percentage points to 71.7 percent compared to the same period in 2003. Horizon's operating revenue per ASM decreased 17.2 percent, while its operating cost per ASM excluding fuel and the impairment charge decreased 18.1 percent. The decrease in Horizon's revenue per ASM and cost per ASM excluding fuel is largely due to the addition of Horizon's contract flying for Frontier Airlines. This flying represented 23.1 percent of Horizon's capacity during the fourth quarter and 9.9 percent of its passenger revenues. Horizon's pretax loss for the quarter was $1.6 million, compared to a pretax income of $5.4 million in 2003. Excluding the unusual items referenced above, Horizon's pretax income was $1.8 million for the quarter.

I would think that until those losses go away they won't be hiring much, despite the increased capacity. Maybe just replenishing the ranks, but that's a guess. I'd love to work up in the Northwest, but not a lot of airline options at the moment.

Question to y'all: Why would the contract with Frontier decrease their revenue per ASM?

Hasta, Navin

http://www.aero.und.edu/Student-Services/jobctr.php3

There have been rumors about another contract carrier. They have made no secret that they are trying to get more contracts.

As far as a profit, I guess I should give my profit sharing check back if we didn't make one? Granted it wasn't a big check, but better then nothing.

NavinRJohnson said:

Hasta, Navin

That's funny, your own excerpt shows Horizon made money that quarter. For 2004 Horizon made money...around 14 million. The profits are small, but, Horizon has been profitable. The growth is slow but Horizon is hiring and have been for a little over a year and they plan on small glasses through summer.
regarding the lower revenue per seat mile with Frontier. You need to read the whole thing you posted. It says "The decrease in Horizon's revenue per ASM and cost per ASM excluding fuel is largely due to the addition of Horizon's contract flying for Frontier Airlines." So both revenue and cost per seat mile decrease. Contract flying is very different so the numbers are different for theose nine airplanes that are now flying under contract than when they were flying in the Horizon system before where all the costs and profits were their own.

"Another Alabama Slammer, Please."

Do most of the pilots at QX still cash their profit sharing checks at Beaches?

Dkwid: I just reread my own excerpt, and I'm a dumba$$. I got so interested in that whole ASM thing I didn't read the last sentence. They are making money, albeit not a lot. There's a reason why Navin is my nom de guerre!

In any event, I'd love to throw my resume in with them. Are they hiring UND grads exclusively, or will they accept apps from off the street?

Navin

NavinRJohnson said:
Dkwid: I just reread my own excerpt, and I'm a dumba$$. I got so interested in that whole ASM thing I didn't read the last sentence. They are making money, albeit not a lot. There's a reason why Navin is my nom de guerre!

In any event, I'd love to throw my resume in with them. Are they hiring UND grads exclusively, or will they accept apps from off the street?

Navin

No, it's been a pretty good mix. you can send me a pm or whatever it is they are called) about applying.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back