• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Horizon pilots are well known in the industry as wimps

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's a theory; Horizon pilots have one of the best contracts in the industry so if they divert, call in fatigue, cancel, etc., they are paid and covered for that flying unlike some other carriers. Makes the safe no go or other safety related decisions much easier knowing that there aren't negative compensation related outcomes unlike some other carriers, example - Mesa.

Here's a theory; Horizon pilots have one of the best contracts in the industry so if they divert, call in fatigue, cancel, etc., they are paid and covered for that flying unlike some other carriers. Makes the safe no go or other safety related decisions much easier knowing that there aren't negative compensation related outcomes unlike some other carriers, example - Mesa.

Wrong. If we call in fatigued, we are docked pay. If we are canceled the trip isn't necessarily paid the same, and most likely will be paid less in the end. Besides, none of that goes into a decision whether you get in or not. You either do, or you don't. The weather, runway conditions and ops specs dictate those things, not our contract.

BTW, the irony of a Canadian calling anyone a wimp is precious. :eek:

Yeah, until one of 'em pulls your sweater over your head and beats the tar out of you.......on ice skates!

EDIT: QCappy and I are going to just keep repeating each other because we keep posting simultaneously.

Well, it's an interesting theory, but partly inaccurate. QX pilots don't get paid for fatigue calls. Min guarantee is generally reduced for fatigue calls. QX pilots don't get a cancellation guarantee, per se. If a flight is canceled, you will not go below min guarantee, but if you had a line over min guarantee, you might lose pay from that line, depending upon how you are subsequently used and how the trip is rigged. We don't have a line guarantee.

A contract that doesn't punish pilots for doing the safe thing would be nice, but alas, management at QX thinks anytime a pilot plays the safety card, he/she is just being lazy or obstructionist.

Like every airline, we have pilots who are unafraid to call "whoa" to a potentially unsafe operation even if it effects their pay. We also have pilots who think of themselves as "can-do" types, who will push the limits. Being a professional is about remembering that your primary concern is the safety and well-being of your passengers, even if it hits you in the paycheck occasionally.

Being a professional also means being unafraid of someone calling you a wimp.

Last edited:
EDIT: QCappy and I are going to just keep repeating each other because we keep posting simultaneously.

Well, it's an interesting theory, but partly inaccurate. QX pilots don't get paid for fatigue calls. Min guarantee is generally reduced for fatigue calls. QX pilots don't get a cancellation guarantee, per se. If a flight is canceled, you will not go below min guarantee, but if you had a line over min guarantee, you might lose pay from that line, depending upon how you are subsequently used and how the trip is rigged. We don't have a line guarantee.

A contract that doesn't punish pilots for doing the safe thing would be nice, but alas, management at QX thinks anytime a pilot plays the safety card, he/she is just being lazy or obstructionist.

Like every airline, we have pilots who are unafraid to call "whoa" to a potentially unsafe operation even if it effects their pay. We also have pilots who think of themselves as "can-do" types, who will push the limits. Being a professional is about remembering that your primary concern is the safety and well-being of your passengers, even if it hits you in the paycheck occasionally.

Being a professional also means being unafraid of someone calling you a wimp.

Good call... FWIW, I myself think that regularly handflying a plane as low as 50' DA and 600 RVR exempts a pilot group from "wimp" status. So does riding in the right seat during that just hoping the stupid HGS doesn't puke at 100' again!

An anonymous Canadian pilot says that Horizon pilots are well known in the industry as wimps, afraid to land in the slightest chill or snowflake of Canadian weather.

Jazz pilots are so tough they don't even need our girly runways here in the US- even in VMC.

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=SEA04IA035&rpt=fa

Brief narrative statement of facts, conditions and circumstances pertinent to the accident/incident:

On January 19, 2004, at 1138 Pacific standard time, the flight crew of a de Havilland DHC-8,
C-GTAQ, inadvertently landed on Taxiway Tango at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Seattle,
Washington. There were no injuries to the Captain, First Officer, Flight Attendant, or any of the
32 passengers. There was no damage to the aircraft, which is owned and operated by Air Canada Jazz.
The 14 CFR Part 129 scheduled air carrier flight, which departed Vancouver, British Columbia,
Canada, about 35 minutes prior to the incident, was landing in visual meteorological conditions.
The aircraft had been on an IFR flight plan.

FB

Last edited:
I can't possibly resist. In my very own opinion, only THREE good things came out of that place....1)Strange Brew 2)John Candy 3)Rush...and curling, what the hell is that all about? Going back to not caring.

I'm gonna start body-checking every Canadian pilot I see up in Kelowna. And while they're writhing in pain on the floor, I'll shout, "WHO'S THE WIMP NOW?!?" I figure if I do that for the next three years, I'm bound to eventually get the guy that said this. And that will make me feel like less of a wimp.

P-Dawg, I am crying that is so f'n funny. Like being called a wimp by a third grader....or a frenchman

Those "wimpy" QX pilots must have been new and not had a chance to visit the Cactus in YLW. I'll never divert from Kelowna again if it means a beer in that place.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back