Hope USAIR pulls through

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rajflyboy

I hope that somehow USAIR pulls through the rough times and stays in business. I'd hate to see all the pilots,FA's,rampers,ticket agents and all the other employees lose their jobs. You hate to see people who have spent their whole lives working for a company only to lose their jobs because of inept management.

This will be bad for our industry and will flood the market with Pilots again. I would hate to see that happen for everyone out there who is searching for a flying job right now.

Same here. I grew up in the Northeast and remember watching BAC-111's and CV580's passing thru my hometown airport when I was a kid growing up. This was when they were known as Allegheny Airlines, way before the Piedmont and PSA
mergers. Man,talk about an age of innocence. Sure was a while ago.....

PHXFLYR:cool:

We all the UsAirs to make it otherwise were stuck where we are. I just can't imagine another year like the last one.

rajflyboy said:
I hope that somehow USAIR pulls through the rough times and stays in business. I'd hate to see all the pilots,FA's,rampers,ticket agents and all the other employees lose their jobs. You hate to see people who have spent their whole lives working for a company only to lose their jobs because of inept management.

This will be bad for our industry and will flood the market with Pilots again. I would hate to see that happen for everyone out there who is searching for a flying job right now.

I will first say that I don't like seeing people put on the streets either. But I have to disagree with you that USAirways folding would be bad for the industry. In fact it would be good for the idustry as a whole, a reduction in available seats might allow a small increase in ticket prices, allowing other carriers to become profitable. As far as flooding the market with pilots, FA's, etc, you're right. But don't confuse a saturation of the job market with being bad for the industry. Eventually, hiring would start again, and hopefully at healthier carriers. Long term, it would be better for the industry for some carriers to disappear.

Fracster said:
We all the UsAirs to make it otherwise were stuck where we are. I just can't imagine another year like the last one.

You mean last year? When you flunked 5th grade English?

I just hate to see the thousands and thousands of employees have to lose their jobs. Thats the worst part of it all. Everyone that will be affected.

It will kill pilots from being able to find a job anytime soon!! Especially in PHL,PIT,CLT

Anyone know how many pilots are on the Seniority list at USAIR???

I agree, that the upheaval of the US Air’s employees is going to be life changing and will effect some people for the rest of their lives. BUT, the industry cannot go on like this, it is not fair to the employees and the taxpayers. A company that can barely survive IN chapt 11 protection cannot even hope to be a viable economy of scale.

It would be a rough period, but I think if US Air and Delta folded, there would be others to start up and fill the void in a month’s time. I would speculate that the Gov, would allow the purchasing company to fly under the old colors to keep stabilization in the industry.

I also think the GOV is playing the patsy, many elected officials feel that any change in the industry would be harmful, or Lord forbid an airline shut down and strand thousands of people and effective shuts down airline infrastructure for some locations. THEN maybe the flying public will wake up and realize that they need to pay a bit more for a ticket, at least 1 dollar more then a Greyhound bus ticket. The problem is some airlines are taking advantage of the Gov fears, hiding in chapt 11, squeezing the payroll nickel until the buffalo $hits, and defaulting on payments, stiffing cities for gate fees, etc, etc.

Mark

When I was a kid I'd fly out to L.A. every summer to visit friends and I always flew on PSA, I remember those big happy faces on the nose.....this is very sad indeed.

USAirways will emerge from Chapter 22.
USAirways is like a dysfunctional family.
They cant operate unless they are in their element
of fighting internally and externally.
The USAirways "talent" has found it easier to operate
on the edge rather than implement a sound visionary
business plan. To the USAirways creditors they are worth more alive
than dead. To USAirways competitors, USAirways is non- threatening,
sends a signal of perceived competition, deflects criticism,and makes
every air carrier that is not USAirways look good.
However all bets are off once they exit Chapter 22.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back