Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Parrot_Head_Fly

Average Joe
Just looking for some advice, currently flying a king air 200, and wanting to eventually go to an airline. With the market being so competitive will I have to go to a regional first? Majors, like AirTran and SWA probably would like to see previous 121 expierence right? Ever hear of a guy going from a King Air to a 737?

Whats the best path, anyone with a magic ball feel free to speak up

I fly with a lot of TWA guys, my boss got hired with just his commercial.... the glory days...long gone I know.

Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

These days, turbine PIC is king. I believe PIC in a KA200 is better than SIC in an ERJ. JMO. Anyone else?TC

Ditto, turbine PIC rules, regardless of type - but it should probably be multiengine turbine PIC.

Plenty of guys have gone from corporate straight to major, especially in the "booming" late 90s.

I just racked up 1500 pic hrs in the BE200 over the last couple years and recently got on with SWA. All of that time was IP and military, not sure if that matters or not.

Parrot_Head_Fly said:
Just looking for some advice, currently flying a king air 200, and wanting to eventually go to an airline. With the market being so competitive will I have to go to a regional first? Majors, like AirTran and SWA probably would like to see previous 121 expierence right? Ever hear of a guy going from a King Air to a 737?

Whats the best path, anyone with a magic ball feel free to speak up

I fly with a lot of TWA guys, my boss got hired with just his commercial.... the glory days...long gone I know.

Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

If you are getting PIC time in the King Air I would stay put for a while and build time. You never know when a oppertunity might come your way. Tower Air hired some F/O with just turbo prop time to fly the right seat of a 747....They also went out of bussiness so you can't apply!!!

Keep your eyes open an oppertunity will arise for you.

Stay put and get in the left seat ASAP. Here are two scenerios to consider...

Stay until you get at least 1000 hrs PIC turbine or more and then look for a regional and start getting some jet/121 time...OR...

Stay until you get about 500+ hrs PIC and then move up to corporate jets with a quick upgrade either locally or with a fractional.

Either way, SIC time (121 or not) is useless. Turbine PIC (heavier the better) is GOLD. Lots of furloughed guys on the seats so times are definately different than the years past. I was all corporate, Falcon 20 and Hawker 800, with lots of jet PIC. I did have a guy in my new hire class that had nothing but King Air 90 time, but that was also Pre 9/11.

Good Luck.

I did the Air Ambulance to Southwest thing in 2001. I know things are different now but... They will consider you a corporate guy and as such, you will be in a different pile than the airline and military guys. Apply when you meet the minimums and keep your info udpated. You will know your times are competitive when they call you for an interview.

falcon20driver said:
If you're military, you're golden.
that didn't do shitte for my partner. He had 19 years flying Orions for the Nav, degrees up the ass and squadron buddies on the inside. He's flying for net jets with his 737 type money spent.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back