Holy line of Thunderstorms batman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
Only becuase you have had some sort of bad experience with AA pilots or the APA in the past you paint us all with a broad brush.

"US" As far as Im concerned you arent there anymore...So why you care? You are dying to comeback...

Never scared...The truth hurts.

starchkr said:
DAM, you outted me Beotch!!!! :laugh:

I guess it's too late now to break out the "YOU'VE JUST BEEN PUNK'D" huh...

If i could have lasted a couple more pages it would have been great...the first flightinfo punk'd would have worked right into my hands. Maybe i should be more careful next time...I guess i didn't figure a cargo thread troll would be the one to out me though...it's cool, I'll remember that. It was pretty good though, you have to admit...:laugh: :beer:

Actually, USC328 is correct, by staying up higher for a longer period of time we are burning less fuel to our descent point, and then bringing the throttles to idle allows almost no burn from the flight levels to the ground. Versus using a longer descent path with the power up to keep the speed up as well, and you will burn many times the fuel over the previous descent. Our descent planning gives us max speed with min fuel burn...however, i can't say i have ever done the gear down and spoilers out from the flight levels (must have been an oh $hit night huh Purv...). Usually a 2 to 1 gives us the best speed for fuel burn, sometimes you can go a little less with headwinds...but i know they can do a 1 to 1, again never done it on the line, but the emergency descent training will show it can do that and more.

As far as sloppy...I have flown many an airline pilot around on our airplanes, and all of them are impressed at how we operate and get things done. The descents impress them and show them just how easily it can be done. They also like how "organized" we are in the cockpit, even when we are having fun, laughing and enjoying what we do. Most of them actually express that although they are making $150K+ they really wish they could fly a cargo lear again or for the first time. So sloppy really does not fit our operation, and as has been said before, the FAA loves to ride around with us, and they all approve of our operations as well, and trust me, we don't "tone it down" just because they are on board. We fly like we are taught to do, and that's all...just like you fly the way you are taught...they are both safe, and both get the job done.

Ok, so the above was pretty honest...and for the rest of ya, man, everything else on this thread was pretty bogus, and all said to keep the fire under your arse going...and it worked, it is way too easy to get to some of you. Maybe a little toning down of the "serious" side and a little up swing of the child inside would do some wonders. And yes, sometimes Gulfstream i do feel like i am still 12...man do you remember those days, all fun and games, and no worries about anything else...except maybe a little inkling towards that really well endowed girl that bloomed a little earlier than the rest...yeah, i like to let the kid inside roam free, it will keep me young longer.

Let's see. What happened to the last crew that was "having fun and laughing" in the cockpit while at an extremely high altitude. But you learned from Dan Vossman, he's the best!

avbug said:
........... Been there, done that, for many, many hours on end. In fact, I've spent a good portion of my career in severe turbulence, or greater..........

That's quite an accomplishment. ;)
:laugh: Maybe a little wx radar use and an occasional deviation from course would be a good addition to the rest of your career?

PacoPollo said:
"US" As far as Im concerned you arent there anymore...So why you care? You are dying to comeback...

Never scared...The truth hurts.

I care becuase I spent 3 great years at AMR and want them too succeed. Sorry that you don't enjoy your job at Eagle. I guess thats one reason you are so bitter. You see people enjoying their careers and it really tears you up.

What hurts? I aint coming back and thats the truth. That must be another reason you try to yank my chain all the time. You are dying to get to mainline and realize you will never ever be a mainline pilot. Then you see someone like me who is going to refuse recall. That must really burn you up.

Gulfstream 200 said:
One thing comes to mind after reading this post......

Ametuer.

be careful in that Learjet, Chuck Yeager.

One thing comes to mind after reading this post......

Calling someone an "amateur" is more effective if you spell it correctly. ;)

Just a thought.

payraise...yep, and they used an ascent profile that left them no way of gaining speed once at that altitude...our planes will make it without a problem, WAIT!!! Before anyone uses that as a we are better than you phrase let me finish. Our planes will make it without a problem when you use the correct ascent profiles and make sure that the altitude is within your limitations for that flight (temp/wt etc wise).

Ahh yes, Mr. Learjet himself...he is the friggin guru of lears. He knows crap that i don't think Learjet knows about their airplanes...we have stopped asking questions when we go to Simuflite for training, we just wait and bring them back to him. (Yes that was an exageration people...well kinda)

Dangit Adler, I missed that one, that would have been a great way to keep my fun going, by breaking out the old spell checker. Man, missed out, dangit, oh well, maybe next time.

avbug said:
It's getting severe when you can't read the instrument panel any more, when you no longer are in control of the aircraft, when your wings crack and when your flight engineer gets ejected from his seat. Been there, done that, for many, many hours on end. In fact, I've spent a good portion of my career in severe turbulence, or greater.

Whoopdy dooo Avroach, what do you want us to do, give you a big kiss for that accomplishment. Do you use tell a chick that when you first meet her? If so I'm sure she is totally impressed!

(For anyone who didn't notice I am being SARCASTIC!!!)

To those of you who have read through this thread and now have the idea that every single pilot at Airnet shares the same opinions and attitudes as Starchkr, you are extremely mistaken. Please do not discredit the reputation of an entire pilot group due to the views of just one of its members. Most of our pilots fit very well into other operations when they choose to leave the ranks at Airnet, no matter what type of flying they venture into.

Last edited:
Airnetr said:
To those of you who have read through this thread and now have the idea that every single pilot at Airnet shares the same opinions and attitudes as Starchkr, you are extremely mistaken. Please do not discredit the reputation of an entire pilot group due to the views of just one of its members. Most of our pilots fit very well into other operations when they choose to leave the ranks at Airnet, no matter what type of flying they venture into.
I believe that.

NoPax said:
I've been flying freight for only one season, but I have learned a lot - probably as much as I would have had I landed a corporate or passenger job.

Sure I have fun while doing it, to break the mundane flying from point A to B, maybe a short approach, taxiing a little on the fast side, but nothing too crazy.

What I like the most is the challenge. There is little challenge in flying over thunderstorms (CB tops + 1000ft for every 10 knots?), sure, it will lead to less grey hair and probably a longer life overall, but swap that Lear, Falcon, Gulfstream or whatever, for a piston-prop then see how brave you are.

It is gratifying to get the job done, on time if you can, but for me more gratifying to get it done safely, and go home to the wife and dogs every morning. That said, I'll still fly freight over any passenger.
There is nothing particularly difficult about flying a jet, but then you need to have the proper background - transitioning into a jet isn't the time to discover that you need to work on your basic instrument flying skills.

Over the years, I've done my share of interviewing and I've hire a few pilots. Personally, when I'm looking to fill an entry level position, I look for a pilot who has "been around the block" a few times. In other words, they've "been there and done that". There is no better way to get that initial experience than by flying freight or charter, single-pilot, in clapped out Navajos, twin-Cessnas, or heaven forbid, twin-Beeches. These are definately not the glamour jobs, but those guys quickly learn what it is to go around the block a few times. A few years of that kind of flying and they're ready for almost anything else that comes along. It only gets easier from that point.

'Sled

That's quite an accomplishment. ;)
:laugh: Maybe a little wx radar use and an occasional deviation from course would be a good addition to the rest of your career?

Radar at altitude, but we don't have it on board the tankers, and it would be a waste and a danger at low level in the smoke, anyway. Heads up, slow down, hang on. Generally the fire is wind driven, generally in very cut up terrain, and it's the wind driven fire that's got us there to begin with. We usually don't get called when it's calm and nice.

That's a far cry from going places you shouldn't in a Lear, high and dry, point to point, delivering a box. There's no reason to go those places or put the aircraft through those things in the Lear. Professional judgement works overtime to avoid such places and situations in a lear. W(h)eather you're delivering boxes or passengers, the learjet is a gentlemanly airplane, a business airplane, and it's properly flown smoothly, with forethought and planning, and yes, with attention to the radar.

The star starchecker appears to use the same syntax and approach as one who's seldom done more than fly his single cessna and twist bones for a living. Just a new facade and a new name before he gets banned again, nothing more.

Latest resources

Back