• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Holy line of Thunderstorms batman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't degrade the flying skills of people who have only flown 91/121, however, it is a well known fact (ok, maybe just a shared belief) among pilots that flying freight has to be one of the best learning experiences one could ever encounter. There is absolutely no replacement for the "skills" (if you wish to call them that) that you attain in this line of business.

Now THAT was funny. Asinine, but funny.

It's all about headwork folks, analyze the situation, come up with a SAFE solution and then execute it. That's the only reason they haven't trained a monkey to do this job.

Apparently they have...

But i am a superhero, i have been mistaken for superman a few times, heck, i guess i am just that good looking. Cowboy up...oh wait, i can't stand the cowboys, but hey, whatever it takes...

Mine is bigger actually...and i can still fly circles around ya.

Apparently it's feeding time at the zoo, superman. Don't let your dinner get cold.

Another great post by our favorite user...man you just don't get it do ya???? People who can't read between lines really need help in their lives...it's plain and simple, try again, and by the way, zoo food is way better than that crap i get out of the machines every night. Mmmmmmm...smashed bugs, what do ya know...

Some of you get it, everyone else, well just keep pluggin' away.

:erm:Hahahaha...(polite laugh)
Hope I never end up on your right seat man.
Even if you were joking, your sense of humour is off a little.
Almost killed myself a couple of times flying piston singles in WX.
Not any more thank you very much.
-learning is a change in behaviour due to experience-

Flying is a mental skill not a physical one....at least for most of us most of the time

I've been flying freight for only one season, but I have learned a lot - probably as much as I would have had I landed a corporate or passenger job.

Sure I have fun while doing it, to break the mundane flying from point A to B, maybe a short approach, taxiing a little on the fast side, but nothing too crazy.

What I like the most is the challenge. There is little challenge in flying over thunderstorms (CB tops + 1000ft for every 10 knots?), sure, it will lead to less grey hair and probably a longer life overall, but swap that Lear, Falcon, Gulfstream or whatever, for a piston-prop then see how brave you are.

It is gratifying to get the job done, on time if you can, but for me more gratifying to get it done safely, and go home to the wife and dogs every morning. That said, I'll still fly freight over any passenger.

starchkr said:
Another great post by our favorite user...man you just don't get it do ya???? People who can't read between lines really need help in their lives...it's plain and simple, try again, and by the way, zoo food is way better than that crap i get out of the machines every night. Mmmmmmm...smashed bugs, what do ya know...

Some of you get it, everyone else, well just keep pluggin' away.

I dont think anyone gets it starchkr.

so you made yourself look like an ametuer, why all the backpedaling?

how old are you? 12? -- what gives?

:confused:

Last edited:
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=66926

Alright, i know it's just wrong, but i just had to keep this going!!! Everyone needs to look at the thread in the general section titled "Holy line of thunderstorms...", sorry i don't know how to do the link. Ahhh, this is so great, you need to watch me keep these guys going, it is so much fun, they are all trying to "school" me on how things are suppossed to be, but the joke is on them. I am purposely trying to get em all fired up, it is just too much fun...most of the stuff i am putting in there is pretty bogus, but then again some is truth. You will just have to pick out the fun and the real for yourself.
For those of you on here that know me, you can definately see it happening, but for those of you who do not, it might take a little while to truly understand my humor. I do love having fun with people...life is too short to not have fun...

I've always wanted to use the :rolleyes:

Lead Sled said:
I guess it's part of the nature of the beast. It takes a certain amount of ego to be able to strap yourself into the pointy end of an aluminum tube and launch yourself and the family jewels down range. I've got no problems with that, I'm probably just as guilty as the next guy.

As far as freight pilots having some sort of superior skills or abilities and higher levels of experience - like I said, I rode with 4 different crews 2/3's of the way across the country and back. What I was saw wasn't particularly skillful - it was sloppyness. The only reason they got a way with some of the stuff they did was because it was three freak'n A.M. in the morning and absolutley no one cared what they were doing. It's probably a good thing that boxes can't complain.

'Sled

Please define sloppyness. Would that be a descent at 9000fpm with spoilers out and thrust idle. Actually, it's called fuel conservation and can be done at 3am due to lack of traffic and no pax comfort to worry about. At AirNet, we never had the nice little banana to tell us when to descent. We actually did mental math, which yes, was easy, everynight. Trust me, those guys were thinking and planning that descent the entire time. If that was not what you were talking about, I'd still like to hear what was sloppy about their flying. I probably know all the crews you flew with very well. Especially the ones you would have ridden with out of APA.

all you guys are bragging about your experiences in severe turbulence...but have any of you flown in EXTREME turbulence?

I have, Im better!!!

haha kidding of course

USC328 said:
Please define sloppyness. Would that be a descent at 9000fpm with spoilers out and thrust idle. Actually, it's called fuel conservation and can be done at 3am due to lack of traffic and no pax comfort to worry about. At AirNet, we never had the nice little banana to tell us when to descent. We actually did mental math, which yes, was easy, everynight. Trust me, those guys were thinking and planning that descent the entire time. If that was not what you were talking about, I'd still like to hear what was sloppy about their flying. I probably know all the crews you flew with very well. Especially the ones you would have ridden with out of APA.

Not only is desceding with the spoilers out bad fuel conservation it is also terrible energy management.

If there is no traffic out there then you should just wait to descend via a 4-5' degree rate of descent. Thats going to give you the best of both worlds.

Latest resources

Back