Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Holy crap, I lost my engine last night...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aucfi said:
FAA's Airplane Flying Handbook Page 11-6 & 11-7

Some important points to remember concerning constant-speed propeller operation are:

Could you check that page number again? My FAA Airplane Flying Handbook (Revised 1999) has Navigation info in Chapter 11.

nosehair said:
Could you check that page number again? My FAA Airplane Flying Handbook (Revised 1999) has Navigation info in Chapter 11.

I have the 2004 revision. Should have mentioned that but I forgot.

Not that it matters too much, but here is a little more clarification.... I was finishing an IFR flight and the temps were around 40 ish with visible moisture inflight. Kept a good eye out for ice (saw none) and did have to apply the carb heat a few times during the flight. On final I got a slight surge in RPMs and actually thought my wif had bumped the throttle lever. Since I was so close to landing anyway (and my experience showed me that a surge meant ice was clearing), I decided not to mess with the carb heat again and then the rest is history....

Worst part is that my WHOLE family was in that plane. My 2 year old daughter was innocently asleep in the back.

I think the biggest point anyone can make is to know what the recommendations are for the plane you fly and always try to have at least a basic understanding of the concepts that affect your flight and situation. In Navy aviation the old saying is that NATOPS (the operating procedures for a given platform) is written in blood.

By the way, I don't like the carb heat and lean idea for cruise. As someone else stated, what would be your alternative for clearning an icing condition? I guess you could say that you wouldn't have one, but that is arguable.

dhc8fo said:
...what would be your alternative for clearning an icing condition?
Exactly.

Back to the point, glad it worked out. And what a great lesson. Thanks for sharing it.

-JP

Question i was asked on my CFI checkride....

What are the certification standards for carb heat on airplanes?

In other words, how many degrees (Fahrenheit) must the temperature increase and at what power setting must it be able to do that?

Anybody got a clue? My guess is Avbug knows, as he knows everything else too :).

I know the answer, and will share it in a bit ;). Just curious if anyone else knows or if i was the only dumb-shat who didn't know that.

mattpilot said:
Question i was asked on my CFI checkride....

What are the certification standards for carb heat on airplanes?

In other words, how many degrees (Fahrenheit) must the temperature increase and at what power setting must it be able to do that?

Anybody got a clue? My guess is Avbug knows, as he knows everything else too :).

I know the answer, and will share it in a bit ;). Just curious if anyone else knows or if i was the only dumb-shat who didn't know that.

If I got asked that on my CFI ride I would have gotten up and left the building!

My guess would be at least 40 degrees (f) at any power setting.

Did I get it?

aucfi said:
If I got asked that on my CFI ride I would have gotten up and left the building!

My guess would be at least 40 degrees (f) at any power setting.

Did I get it?
Have to agree...think I would have asked for a letter of discontinuance and said thanks, keep the change.

I'll go ten more...50(f) and I'll go with 65-75%?

-mini

*edit*
Honestly, now that I think for a bit...I wouldn't have left. I would have said "I honestly have no idea, but I bet I know how to find out..." and taken a look in the FAR/AIM. Probably a better answer and a lot more mature...

Last edited:
There's no reason to get up and leave for any question. That is, as long as he doesn't fail one for it. He didn't. I think he was just curious if i knew or not. There was quite a bit i didn't know where he didn't fail me on. But i did screw up on a different part, but thats another story.

My response was simply that i had no clue and never even heard of such a standard. I don't think you would find the answer in the AIM. I suppose it would be in part 21 or something, since that deals with certification of parts.

But the answer is the Carb heat must increase the air temp by at least +90 degrees fahrenheit at 75% power.

Anyway - to relate this to engine performance for those who suggest to fly with constant carb heat on.... you'd automatically increase your DA in your engine manifold by 4000ft - that is, if my calculations are correct ;)

mattpilot said:
But the answer is the Carb heat must increase the air temp by at least +90 degrees fahrenheit at 75% power.

And as a CFI, you give a sh!t about that for what reason?

Latest resources

Back