Holding question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nosehair,

My point is WHY "it's the law" (or rather, in the AIM)

Believe me, the controller doesn't need a reminder of what's going on. He has data strips, and assigns you holding and sees you enter on radar, so why is it in the AIM to report entering when in radar contact? Most of the time in the holding airspace, the controller is already swamped and every time when I report entering holding, the controller acknowledges but you can tell from his tone that he is trying to do something else (coordinating with the next controller or whatever) and considers the call a nuisance.

I find many things in the AIM outdated. It desperately is in need of a complete re-write.

Mach 80,

What was the response you received from the FAA? I'm sure you have contacted them if these topics are causing you this much pain in your daily routine at work, right?

>>>What was the response you received from the FAA? I'm sure you have contacted them if these topics are causing you this much pain in your daily routine at work, right?<<<

I may ask a controller sometime if flying at 3am and I'm the only aircraft on the frequency. Maybe ask a few of them to get a consensus. In the meantime, who said this was causing me any pain? I was just curious about the need since usually the same controller who gives you the holding and is watching you on the radar is the same one you are telling you are entering holding. So again - no "pain" just curiousity and wondering if it's just an unnecessary carry over from the non-radar days. Usually the frequency is busy enough without telling the controller what he already knows - thus the question.

usually the same controller who gives you the holding and is watching you on the radar is the same one you are telling you are entering holding.
There's that word, "usually"...
Yeah, you're right, 'most' times it is a pain in the a**neck. Probably hundreds of times a day, this aggrevation is visited on the poor controller, and pilot, but maybe once or twice a year, it saves a collision. You make your own choice, or risk management.

Find out if a controller has ever avoided a mistake by hearing a 'entering holding' call.

Guy I was flying with said some people like to hurry into the hold because they think if they get there first they will exit first. When we are issued the hold is our place already set for exiting or are there tricks we pilots can use to get a lesser wait?

I told him I thought since we are issued EFC's it doesn't matter how fast we get there.

Thanks for any replies.

Can you say min. fuel? That will get you outta there faster.

When I'm driving down the road and I see a traffic light turn amber, I always accelerate. That way, I'm first at the red light. It's a good thing I don't have a brake temperature indicating system in my car!

Latest resources

Back