Hobby expansion passes; Southwest wins fight with United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey flop,
You fly for a pilot group that licks the boot that kicks you. as far a your opinion of me I could care less. You live in a delusional world and you fly for a dysfunctional airline. Why don't you show the rest of us a industry leading contract. Good luck with jeffrey.
Cry baby!

Whaaaa! Whaaaaaaaaaa!

This is not correct Andy. We just broke ground on $700 million to the terminals. Now they are going to idle it. It would appear so to a UAL guy, I know. But Houston had potential. It took a constant effort to keep it what it was, now it's toast.

I'm not familiar with any $700M project. AFAIK, Phase I, terminal B construction, is supposed to cost $190M.
I guess they've done a bit of work on Terminal D gate 12A for the A380; I'm willing to bet that the project gets mothballed for now.

I'm not arguing with IAH's potential. However, management made a deal with DEN to grow traffic there in exchange for lower fees. I can almost guarantee that once United starts growing again, United will reengage the Houston city council and offer to expand at IAH in exchange for concessions.

If the 787 required another airline's connecting passengers to fill it, it was never a good plan in the first place.

Oh my... WOW! You actually think this way? We truly are opposites and I think I understand a lot more about you, than you do us.

You need to think about this for a little while. We weren't asking for a handout, we just wanted to compete for the customer. Do you know how a farm co-op works? Or something like that? that is what IAH was.

Houston can EASILY support two airports offering international traffic and connections. United simply came up with this fear campaign because they are terrified of competition. And I don't blame them. The Southwest Effect is about to expand internationally out of Houston and United couldn't be any more scared.

Gotta side with the SWA folks on here! Business is business, whoever can compete should do it as long as everyone get's an equal playing field what's the problem? I thought we were deregulated. As far as the jobs go, how many jobs will SWA create?

Gotta side with the SWA folks on here! Business is business, whoever can compete should do it as long as everyone get's an equal playing field what's the problem? I thought we were deregulated. As far as the jobs go, how many jobs will SWA create?

Equal playing field? Dan, you've been in the airline industry for a LONG time. There's never been a level playing field in this business.
Is JetBlue's sweetheart deal with the NY Port Authority a level playing field?
Is US Airways' subsidized fuel from the city of CLT a level playing field?

I could list a bunch of sweetheart deals given to every airline; I'm not trying to pick on a single airline.

The problem with creating the second international airport within the city of Houston is that US Customs employees will be coming from IAH in order to cover HOU. US Customs isn't going to add personnel in Houston in order to cover HOU; they will simply reassign some from IAH to HOU. That's the biggest problem that I see in this whole deal.
So while it's 'only four gates' at HOU, there will need to be a disproportionate number of customs employees moved from IAH to HOU in order to cover flights into HOU. What's the result? Customs processing at IAH goes from, say, 30 minutes, to 2 hours.
For those that think 2 hours sounds excessive, I used to work zone control at IAD. Customs processing was a HUGE issue; there were several times that we had through passengers stuck in customs for more than 90 minutes due to customs understaffing.

Andy, Hobby already has customs agents there. they will not come from IAH they will just have to move from the west side of the airport to the new terminal.

You'd better create 10,000 jobs, sell tickets to Bogota for $130, and add 1.6 billion to Houston's economy. Every single day you don't do that, I will be sending an email to the Mayor and the City Council. You got 4 gates to do that. Good luck!
You are in serious void of a hobby. Get a life! You must be a joy to fly with. I bet you spew this hate 24/7. The voice of ucal on FI and its this repetitive nonsense.

Andy, Hobby already has customs agents there. they will not come from IAH they will just have to move from the west side of the airport to the new terminal.

Are you sure about that? Customs is listed as 'on request' for Hobby, rather than specific hours. That generally indicates that there's no customs at the field, but that customs agents from another station covers special customs requests for that airport.
http://www.azworldairports.com/airports/a2740hou.cfm

This article implies that there aren't customs agents currently physically assigned to Hobby: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...taffing-remains-question-in-Hobby-3584338.php

Latest resources

Back