History of two DWI'S

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

robbo68

I received a Dwi in 1992 and one in 2000. I have not had a drink since May of 2002. I am grateful to have these problems behind me. I am successful business owner considering a career change. I have been interested in becomming a commercial helicopter pilot for many years now but I am concerned that my history may disqualify me from gaining my class 2 medical certificate. I have researched some aviation law outfits which claim to be able to help with the medical and legal aspect, but will any company even look at me for employment with my history?

Am I wasting my Time?
Am I eligible for a class 1 or 2 medical?
Would a company hire one with my history?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

I received a Dwi in 1992 and one in 2000. I have not had a drink since May of 2002. I am grateful to have these problems behind me. I am successful business owner considering a career change. I have been interested in becomming a commercial helicopter pilot for many years now but I am concerned that my history may disqualify me from gaining my class 2 medical certificate. I have researched some aviation law outfits which claim to be able to help with the medical and legal aspect, but will any company even look at me for employment with my history?

Am I wasting my Time?
Am I eligible for a class 1 or 2 medical?
Would a company hire one with my history?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Wow, that's a tuff one. I would contact an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) and ask about the legalities.
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/ This link will help you find an AME close to you. I'm not sure if the FAA will even issue a license????

Some companies may have insurance considerations. One person may see that you have recognized your fault and recitfied it, and others may not see it that way.

Either way, good luck to you.

I'm not sure if the FAA will even issue a license????

More than likely they will not issue the medical. Best thing for him to do is go to an AME and get a 1st class. Make sure to answer the app questions with complete honesty. If in a few months you don't get a letter from OKC telling you your medical is no longer valid, then you can proceed.

Even though your employment options WILL be very limited, don't let the past stop you from pursuing your future.

If you are a successful busnessman why would you ever go to work for anyone else? Get your medical (if you haven't been in trouble of any kind since 2000 you can probably get a medical), by a plane or helo and fly whereever, whenever.

Get enough time and start you own aviation related service.

if robbo68 means you were born in 68(that's what the 68 in my name means), I'd think really hard before going down the path your asking about.

Wow,
Well I must say I am very torn even replying to your question as one of my best friends has spent the last 12 years in a wheel chair "thanks to" a lady next door who came back from a “ladies night out” party and while driving home veered of the road right before her driveway hitting my buddy who was standing in his driveway. (She spent short time in prison [4 months I think?] and sold her house shortly thereafter as all the neighbors wanted her out). Sorry to bring this up, just wanted to explain why dui, dwi is such a controversial issue – it affects/hurts/shortens many people’s lives.

First of all - I’m glad you put drinking behind you, I really am!

Now, when it comes to your future in commercial aviation; that's a tough one. At one of my previous airlines I remember being told by a recruiter that they used a “10-year rule,” meaning that if a dui/dwi offense was committed more than 10 years prior AND there were no other problems AND the person did very well in the interview - he/she probably would get hired. That was a regional airline though, not sure how a major airline or a commercial operator would treat this.

In your case though, since you “relapsed” I’d say they’d have to be extremely forgiving to let you in. If anything, based on the 10 year rule, you’d have to prove yourself for another 4 years or so, probably much longer, before they’d even interview you.

Put yourself in their shoes, if you EVER bumped into someone or something (drunk or sober won’t matter at this point) the airline/company would be liable for all kinds of lawsuits for hiring a person with a history of being dangerous to others (drinking and operating machinery).

I truly wish you the best and hope that you’ll find a good job which will make you happy; most importantly please do not ever drink again!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back