Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
shamrock said:
Thanks English!

I saw that site a few years back but haven't been able to find it since then.

Kind of sad to see Mountain Meadow (aka Johnnycake) airport near Burlington CT added to the list. For some strange reason my engine always seemed to fail near that airport when I was working on my Private. Kind of like the Bermuda Triangle of central Connecticut I guess.:confused:

Shamrock-

Do you know if Johnnycake is gone for good now? I've been hanging onto some hope that something would happen to save the airport. At the very least I hope the restaurant stays in business-- great food.

Also, between this and the hockey thread I'm guessing you grew up in CT. Where abouts? I grew up in Litchfield and got my private at Robertson. PM me if you prefer.

As a young lad I used to ride my bike on the old runways at the once Rochester Airport in Minnesota. It is now a subdivision but, for a time, a 10-year old sure had a blast "taking off."

Thanks for the website post!

2000Flyer

That is a neat site. I somehow came across it years ago and sent the guy some info on some fields in Texas I knew about. Sad part was, I used to FLY in/out of those fields.

I flew into Carmel Valley Vintage Airfield several years ago. I was saddened to see it made it onto the website. They closed it a few years ago.

Although not related to lost airfields, but related to WWII...where I grew up in Richmond VA, they had this area called "Lost City".

It was pretty cool....we used to sneak in there all the time and it was near the RIC airport. What it was, was fake streets with nothing on them but street lights configured to look like the city of Richmond in the event of a bomber attack. I guess the defense was quite simple, turn the city lights out and turn on the lights of the "lost city".

I'm sure they have a subdivision built on that land now, but was fun skipping school and haning out in a miniature version of the city of Richmond.

Willow Creek CA. airport is 1/4 mile from where I grew up and my parents still live there. I use it to this day just for fun with the permission of the property owner.

Low pass to check the surface and in I go, great little mountain strip.

Thanks English!

I live right next to DFW in Euless and I have been looking for years for pictures of the old Greater Southwest Regional Airport. Great Website!

groundpointsix said:
Shamrock-

Do you know if Johnnycake is gone for good now? I've been hanging onto some hope that something would happen to save the airport. At the very least I hope the restaurant stays in business-- great food.

Also, between this and the hockey thread I'm guessing you grew up in CT. Where abouts? I grew up in Litchfield and got my private at Robertson. PM me if you prefer.

Check your PMs. Good to see another child of 4B8 on the board.

njcapt said:
One of my favorite web sites. I have been meaning to hoof it on over to the site of the old Flushing airport when on a LGA RON, but I had better hurry up if I want to poke around there before I need a SCUBA rig to do it. Mother Nature is well on her way toward reclaiming the old field.

As of 2003-2004 the entrance road was blocked off due to "West Nile Virus" which is what it said on the sign.

And guess who got his aviation career started there, non other than Frank Lorenzo. He did aircraft sales or something of that nature at the FBO if I'm not mistaken.

Latest resources

Back