History of abandoned airfields

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

English

I found this great little website that depicts runways closed long ago (and some not so long ago). Pretty cool to read about some of the runways that used to exist.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm

Last edited:
That is a neat site.

I get to fly around many of the closed fields around Pensacola, Fl. It is neat to get more info on what I am seeing. I have even had the opportunity to land at a few.

Thanks for sharing the site.

Just north of Chicago between PWK and the old Glenview NAS, if you take some back roads, you can still see a large building with a hangar type door hidden between industrial and commercial type buildings.. the faded name of an old airport on the door can still be made out if you are into aviation and know what you are looking for. I've always wanted to know more about the previous airfield there and this website is very interesting..

Thanks for posting it!

Thanks for the link.

I had known for years, that an airfield had been located on a bluff, where I bought a new home in 1987.

While digging trenches for the sprinkler system, we hit a smooth layer of road base, apprarently where a taxiway once existed.

This website contains the map of the airport, along with a 1997 photo showing my (previous) home in the exact location. Had always wondered how the runway & taxiways were laid out, & now I know. Thanks again.

Wow. I recognize quite a few of those mysterious sites in the North Tampa and South Tampa pages. When I was a CFI, I know I used at least one of the sites as a simulated emergency landing site with a student. I recall saying,when my student was having trouble making up his mind on where to "land"... "See that nice patch with no trees? Looks like a runway to me!"...funny. It really was a runway!

One of my favorite web sites. I have been meaning to hoof it on over to the site of the old Flushing airport when on a LGA RON, but I had better hurry up if I want to poke around there before I need a SCUBA rig to do it. Mother Nature is well on her way toward reclaiming the old field.

Thanks English!

I saw that site a few years back but haven't been able to find it since then.

Kind of sad to see Mountain Meadow (aka Johnnycake) airport near Burlington CT added to the list. For some strange reason my engine always seemed to fail near that airport when I was working on my Private. Kind of like the Bermuda Triangle of central Connecticut I guess.:confused:

Heyas all,

It's a great site. Lot's of those old fields are really interesting.

But some of the stories are pretty sad...old owner dies, owner went bankrupt, family sells out, but the worst are the political shenanagans where the land is snaked out from owner, and now the supreme court has opened the door for confiscating fields where the owners still WANT to run the airport.

The end result is always the same...more $hitbox houses, townhouses or condos. Just what we fricking need.

Nu

Thanks English! That's a great site... I had no idea there was an airfield close to where I lived in Denver (Columbine airport). Too bad it didn't make it, it would've been a great location today...

Latest resources

Back