• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hiring Best Guess

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Overall, a guaranteed pension with good medical makes airlines more of a hobby than a job. You will love it.

I love my military bros, but more of that mindset is not what is needed if we are ever to restore this profession! How about a little reality check: You fly a very complex aircraft with a staggering potential liability. This is NOT a hobby! It is a highly-skilled profession for which you are at present woefully under-compensated. Please raise your expectations and vote accordingly when your next contract becomes amendable.

I realize nobody can predict what the industry is going to look like even a month from now but just looking for best guesses for hiring in 2012 when Age 65 finally catches up. This happens to coincide with my military retirement and I am just wondering if you guys think there will be any new hiring by then?

Thanks

The age 65 doesn't start until December 2012, so really the movement begins in 2013. There may be some lag depending on the remaining number of furloughees at any respective airline at that time too.

Not every pilot is going to stay till 65...
Hell, I've seen alot of guys at my job leave before 60, and also some at 62.
Just flew with a guy who is 50 and isn't gonna stay till 65, or even 60 for that matter.

And the reason you won't see 70 is two-fold.
Honestly, not many guys will be able to pass a 'legit' medical if they raised the age again. Because I would imagine that they would have higher medical standards than what they do now.

If they raised it over 65, expect to see rules about crew compliment, crew duty and so on for cockpits with someone over 65.
Already the over 60 cockpit rules are making some airlines look at how they schedule their crews.

Anyone know how many 'over 60' First Officers there are out there at the Majors?

" Mil retirement isn't enough (50K) to live off..."

Tell that to the average American family of 4 that lives just fine on the median household income of approx. $50k / year.

Who ARE these people that can't make it on 50 Grand? ( Rhetorical question.)

YKMKR

He can tell it to the average government employee who gets over $70K per year.

" Mil retirement isn't enough (50K) to live off..."

Tell that to the average American family of 4 that lives just fine on the median household income of approx. $50k / year.

Who ARE these people that can't make it on 50 Grand? ( Rhetorical question.)

YKMKR

Whine,

I never planned on being an average anything. I certainly didn't become an airline pilot to make 50k a year, and I will not apologize to those folks who make less than I do in other fields. All work is noble. I think everyone should be proud of what they do and accomplish in life. I just got done spending :45 with my 7 year old going over her first grade homework, and I can say without any reservations I could never be an elementary school teacher. I never wanted to be a doctor, or a lawyer, or a construction worker. However, I also won't be made to feel guilty because I make a good living as a pilot. A Vice Wing Commander once shared this comment to a senior non-pilot type who was complaining about pilot perks...."hey man...in my high school career day was open to everyone..."

50k isn't going to keep the standard of living a retired Maj, LTC, or above is used to living. That's good. We don't want 45 year olds with that much talent and experience sitting on the sidelines taking up checks for the rest of their lives. We want them out in the community--working--and making a difference in their communities. If you are content where you are--super. But the world moves forward because of people who strive to be all they can, and nobody should have to apologize for wanting more than an "average" exisitence.

I'm not too up to date on DAL, but since they had so many retire before they hit BK I think they are still a "young" airline. The NW section, however, and CAL both have a lot of guys approaching that new retirement age.

Alb,
The NW section no longer exists...it is all one Delta List, and I would say we will be short pilots by 2011 unless we start closing bases and parking airplanes...which could happen. Most importantly don't listen to Tanker Clown, the only pool he knows anything about is his family gene pool that someone took a huge piss in, a few decades back.

Ok I will say this again........Retirement and job replacement are a fallacy at the Major Level. Major Airlines are only continuing to shrink and downsize their fleets. Jobs at the Major Level will not be a par for par replacement. The best scenario many should hope for is growth at the regional level as Mainline operators continue to grow shared risk operations and reduce largebody aircraft. With a severely depressed economy and virtual meetings taking a leap in popularity I would expect Air travel to remain at its current capacity. Capacity, not retirement is what determines job replacement during retirement surges. In short I think people are far to optimistic that there is a retirement wave to be seen that will offer movement for many stranded in the seniority lists. Remember Capacity "replacement" "AT THE MAJORS" is what will yield movement.

Last edited:
I love my military bros, but more of that mindset is not what is needed if we are ever to restore this profession! How about a little reality check: You fly a very complex aircraft with a staggering potential liability. This is NOT a hobby! It is a highly-skilled profession for which you are at present woefully under-compensated. Please raise your expectations and vote accordingly when your next contract becomes amendable.
Well said.

Latest resources

Back