• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hiring ay UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard the F word from a very senior SDF MD-11 CA while jumpseating, so maybe not so soon. One can only hope this economy will rebound quickly.

Before this thread gets out of hand, there are NO talks of furloughs, or hiring for that matter, at this time. There are many who are SPECULATING that UPS may attempt a furlough, but that is all that it is right now - speculation. I can't say (because I have NO idea) what will or will not happen in the future, but nothing is planned for now. If anything is going to happen, we will probably know more in the 1st QT 2009. Nothing will happen before that.

Not only are there no plans to hire in 09', if you are in the pool, you will probably have to re-interview when the hiring process starts again. Sorry, but that is the word I have been told. :(

No plans to hire in the near future now that the DHL deal isn't happening.

At a meeting with management last week, they told us that they were planning for 35 airframes to be added to cover the DHL flying in the original agreement.

Now, they aren't planning on any hiring and they are continuing with the retirement of the DC-8s.

Also, yes, there is speculation that the IPA and UPS are discussing furlough mitigation strategies.

Not looking too good at UPS right now.

Over 60 FEs went to both seats. Some via vacancies and other due to displacement. The 727 and 747 classic have been parked lately and those pilots shotgunned out into the system. There are still several over 60 (age) FEs on the DC8; however, the bottom 60 (seniority) or so were displaced from mostly ANC FO.

The speculation on furloughs and mitigation strategy are just that SPECULATION. I don't know why everyone is talking furloughs. We are still making money and even Friedman couldn't figure what is going to happen with the economy.

The number that's floating around is a profit of 750Million for the 4th Quarter here at UPS. I have nothing to back that up, but it's what I'm hearing. As for furloughs...the sky is falling at UPS ANYTIME we don't make the same money or more money as the previous year/quarter, so the belt is being tightened. DHL is not done yet, it's reduced to 100K worth of freight a year and not 1.3 Billion. UPS has gotten a lot of DHL customers straight up..... I know... it's a sh!tty way to grow, I've been on the other side of the fence and it sucks, but it is what it is. New 767's are on the way and nobody seems to know if they're replacements for the DC 8's or actual growth. I'll be the pesimist and say they are going to be replacements for the 8's as they are parked. No mention of furloughs from the company or the union, just pilots flying around, being bored, and worrying aaaaaannnnndddd making sh!t up. Not that it couldn't happen, but lets not feed management with any ammo people...(stay off the Bar and Gril with what we can give back :rolleyes:l) As for hiring....this is from a very reliable source.... hiring for "all professional positions" at UPS is going to be outsourced. Yes... I know how freaking ridiculous that sounds, but it's true. Take it for what it's worth. 2009 should be a very interesting year for all involved in aviation. Delta's cutting back, USAir West is cutting back, SWA is deferring all of their orders for 09, etc.... oh and lets not forget that age 65 really...... a heck... I'm not even going to go there.... good luck to all of us...2009 will be a very interesting(F*&Ked UP) year.

Net

PS. From manning : Look for either a vacancy bid or displacement bid at Big Brown in Jan or March.

Last edited:
I'm guessing displacement bid...we never have vacancy bids anymore...but if we do, the over 60 guys can get more seats...I wonder how many are left on the 8 panel who haven't taken an upgrade already...

Latest resources

Back