• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hired!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good answer, but it believe you are incorrect. I found out, to my surprise, that companies have no regulations. Under this part, the government is the only regulatory body.

Here's an example:
When I started helping out across the field as a copilot, I couldn't log any of that time as SIC, even though the company had directed that I be present in the right seat, and I was being paid to be there. Why? The regs said that no SIC was required for the operation because there was an approved and functioning autopilot in the aircraft. The most I was permitted to log were the dead legs I flew after the part 135 operation ended (read: pax dropped off) under part 91.

Being a little creative, and knowing that the autopilot wasn't a brand-new unit, I asked what would happen if the autopilot had malfunctioned, was tagged inop, and waiting for repair? I was told that I would need a current 8410 authorizing me to serve as SIC in that aircraft make and model. That means either a company check airman (they didn't have one) or an FAA POI would administer an SIC checkride.

As you see, the company's rules (not "regulations") had no binding regulatory effect under this part that would allow me to log SIC time.

I believe that the 8410 is only a 135 thing. There is no checkride to fly as SIC under part 91. All that is required is a checkout and three takeoffs and landings.

The question in debate is wheather or not one can log SIC time in an aircraft that could go either way (such as a CE-550 or 560). Both aircraft were orginally certified 2 pilot aircraft, but depending on STC's and specialized training for the PIC, those aircraft may or may not be flown single pilot.

It seems crazy to me that the FAA would discourage two pilot operations in high performance turbojet aircraft by not allowing the SIC to log the time. Doesn't seem like that promotes safety.

I agree.

My point is that lacking some official regulatory requirement (like the 135 reg situation I cited) the only way you can log SIC time is when the aircraft certification dictates a two-crew flight deck.

Whether or not a single pilot STC changes that is an excellent question.

For the encouragement of safety, that reg should certainly be re-written.

SIC - Citation SII

Again, the SII type certificate requires two (2) pilots. Yes a pilot can get a single pilot type and if he operates under the particular stipulations of that single pilot type he can fly the aircraft by himself. But this does not mean you cannot log SIC.

The poor guy who started this thread is probably about ready to find another career.

Log it SIC, no one is going to ask you if the guy you flew with had a single pilot type. Give me a break. You are an SIC in an aircraft that requires two pilots by its original type certificate.

Maybe you're right.

Maybe the guy he interviews with three years from now never flew one of those aircraft, and won't ask any questions.

Then again...

Latest resources

Back