Hired by the FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

alex

Just got hired by the FAA as a flight check pilot (technically an "Airspace System Inspection Pilot") -- Will be flying a King Air 300 out of Battle Creek Michigan. There was also an opening in OKC.

Job is to flight check NAVAIDs and instrument approaches. 700-800 flying hours per year. 4-5 day trips -- On the road 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5 weeks -- but home (almost) every weekend. Weeks not on the road is office work and/or local flying.

Applied for the job after hearing about the opening from a bud flying military flight check out of OKC. Was an internal (to the FAA) "want ad," but I was able to apply under the VRA rules (Veteran's Readjustment Act--ask your Family Support Center about it). GS-11 for 2 weeks (because of VRA). Then a GS-12 during training -- about 3 months. Then GS-13 for about 1.5 to 2 years. Then GS-14 when "fully qualified" (move to the left seat). You can look up the pay, then add a 5% additional allowed, since the work is in direct support for the National Aerospace System. Per diem the same as military system.

BTW -- they have Lears also in Battle Creek -- move up to be dual qualified as seniority and need dictates. Wasn't given a timeframe for that. OKC also has Challengers, I think.

Interviewed last week in June, got "the call" this week. I start terminal leave 16 Aug, start with the FAA on 26 Aug.

Send me a PM if you have specific questions and/or want more info.

alex

Hopefully I will work with the FAA once I get out of college and get some flying experience. I currently work at the WJHTC in Atlantic City, NJ.

Matt

Latest resources

Back