• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Hired by the FAA

alex

Total Time
3500+
Just got hired by the FAA as a flight check pilot (technically an "Airspace System Inspection Pilot") -- Will be flying a King Air 300 out of Battle Creek Michigan. There was also an opening in OKC.

Job is to flight check NAVAIDs and instrument approaches. 700-800 flying hours per year. 4-5 day trips -- On the road 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5 weeks -- but home (almost) every weekend. Weeks not on the road is office work and/or local flying.

Applied for the job after hearing about the opening from a bud flying military flight check out of OKC. Was an internal (to the FAA) "want ad," but I was able to apply under the VRA rules (Veteran's Readjustment Act--ask your Family Support Center about it). GS-11 for 2 weeks (because of VRA). Then a GS-12 during training -- about 3 months. Then GS-13 for about 1.5 to 2 years. Then GS-14 when "fully qualified" (move to the left seat). You can look up the pay, then add a 5% additional allowed, since the work is in direct support for the National Aerospace System. Per diem the same as military system.

BTW -- they have Lears also in Battle Creek -- move up to be dual qualified as seniority and need dictates. Wasn't given a timeframe for that. OKC also has Challengers, I think.

Interviewed last week in June, got "the call" this week. I start terminal leave 16 Aug, start with the FAA on 26 Aug.

Send me a PM if you have specific questions and/or want more info.

alex

MattM

Total Time
Hopefully I will work with the FAA once I get out of college and get some flying experience. I currently work at the WJHTC in Atlantic City, NJ.

Matt