• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

hired after a checkride bust

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have never been asked if I busted a check ride. I didn't know anyone cared. Does the FAA even keep track? My understanding was the pink slip just required you to get signed off for another check ride.

I guess we are all on the I failed XX check rides and still got on with a major.....

~~ 8 years ago I had a bunch of family problems going on and busted 2 type/upgrade rides (in the airplane) within 8 days. I sateyed an F/O fro another 8 weeks to clear my head and then successfully passed the ride.

Within 18 months I had been hired/pooled at 3 majors (Though turned down by a 4th).

The bottom line is... if you can proove you learned from your misfortunes and recovered in your career, while conveying it to an interviewer, your career can be salvaged.

Additionally, not every carrier even asks about check ride busts at interviews, however, the major I did get on with did in fact ask about busts. I was honest, humble and straightfroward AND STILL HIRED!

bubbers44 said:
I have never been asked if I busted a check ride. I didn't know anyone cared. Does the FAA even keep track? My understanding was the pink slip just required you to get signed off for another check ride.

You can request a copy of your records from the FAA. I am pretty sure you will find a copy of the notice of disapproval (AKA pink slip) in those records.

A busted check ride will not prevent you from getting a job. As others have mentioned you should be prepared to address it in the interview. It's expected that you'll take repsonsibility for your failure and explain what you did to insure it didn't happen again. If you have no failed checkrides in the 121/135 environment you may not even get asked about a private, IFR, or CFI checkride bust.

A failure of a type ride or ATP isn't that big of a deal. A failure of a PC is another thing. A type ride and ATP ride is pretty difficult and most people realize this. However if you fail a PC this means you don't know your company procedures well and this looks pretty bad on a record.

Einstein said:
Let me guess, that "someone" was you. Yeh, a few bad apples still get through the cracks.

Ah, more words of wisdom from the B1900 flight attendant! I see you're still as clueless as ever!

The FAA has recently begun implementation of a program to not only computerize all Airman records but to purge all records older than 5 years, unless they are pertinent to an ongoing investigation or a penalty for an offense. Anyone may request that any records older than 5 years (again meeting the above criteria) may be removed manually from the record if the computer hasn't gotten to your records yet. The Airman records forwarded to a prospective employer list certificates, ratings, priveleges, incidents and accidents, not checkride busts. However, the information provided by a former employer to a prospective employer under PRIA background checks will contain a statement about busting checkrides/not completeing training.

Latest resources

Back