Hiking Destinations?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
414Flyer said:
There are some trailheads within 1-2 miles of Angel Fire NM airport. You could just park the plane, put on a backpack and go.

The same is true of Mammoth Yosemite Airport in the Eastern Sierra-Nevada. Actually many of the airports along Hwy 395 would be similar. Just be aware of the density altitude problems especially in the Summer Months. Also, some peaks in the Sierras require advanced permits. The National Forest office in Lone Pine would be the place to inquire about these. The same is true of any camping in the Grand Canyon.

Being able to hike right out of the airport is a toughie. Here are some that I enjoyed that were right on the spot or required minimal driving (or hitchhiking for that matter).

Jackson, WY immediately comes to mind. The Tetons are right there, and Yellowston a stone's throw away.

Conway, NH is the gateway to the Presidential Range (Mt Washington, Tuckerman's Ravine). Eastern Slopes Regional (IZG) in Maine would get you pretty close.

Taos, NM is close to Wheeler Peak (over 13,000 ft high). Angel Fire would be another, although it's been mentioned before.

Hailey, ID (KSUN ,Friedman Memorial) is right near Sun Valley. The Sawtooth Mountain Range is stunning. Definitely good for hiking, but backpacking would be better.

Any of the front range airports of Colorado get you in the ballpark (Springs, Centennial, Jeffco). As said earlier, there are a few airports in Summit, Eagle, Pitkin counties, but Wx could leave you hanging. Durango and Telluride also have some good stuff nearby.

All the above are fantastic in terms of enjoying the outdoors.

Personally, I'd get some sort of transportation, or learn how to shmooze rides. It opens up a whole lot more of the these areas to explore.

I alkway liked Sedona and there is always bryce canyon

Ironwood, MI. Porcupine Mountains are about twenty miles away. Lots of loop hiking to be done. I want to say without looking there's about 50 miles worth of trail. Maybe 70.

You could hike out of Taos airport, if you wanted to go hike and camp along the gorge. If you wanted to hike Wheeler, which I want to do, you would have to get a ride to a trailhead, nearest is going to be 30 miles probably.

Wheeler still has LOTS of snow on it now. Maybe it will be hikable in june, big maybe.

Yodafly said:
barharbor maine is a great spot.

look up arcadia park,

coast line and good size mountain

get bored try the hig speed ferry boat from here to canada very fast at 70 mph

I agree! I have traversed most of the trails thru Arcadia. They range from easy - if you slip you die. I hope I never get stuck there in the winter. Brrrr!

Ironwood is a good spot, the black river and the falls back there are really nice!

Roanoke

Roanoke has good hiking the Appalachian Trail is close by. Asheville, NC take a car about 30 min Sw absolutely beautiful. Lynchburg, VA you have to get a car but about 30 min NW to the Blueridge mountains via hwy 260. Grand Rapids, MN you can get to Lake Itasca State Park where the Mississippi River begins. I'm not sure though if Mesaba flies in there at all. Rapid Cits, SD -the black hills are right there

Latest resources

Back