Hiking Destinations?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
crzepilot said:
Grand Rapids, MN you can get to Lake Itasca State Park where the Mississippi River begins. I'm not sure though if Mesaba flies in there at all.

Bemidji is about 75 miles closer to Itasca than Grand Rapids. XJ no longer services Grand Rapids, also.

Cumberland Maryland has been the best I've seen so far. You walk down the hill from the airport hang a right at the interesection walk 1/8 mile and you're on the C&O Canal. Turn left on the towpath and walk 3-4 miles takes you into Cumberland, hang a right and you can go a full 183 miles all the way into Georgetown, Washington DC. I stopped into a local bike shop in Cumberland and they will even rent you a trail/mtn bike one way to DC. Look up C&O Canal and you can get some maps of the route.

later
Bugsmasher999

Stehekin State Airport (6S9) is located just west of Lake Chelan in Washington's Cascade Range. It's just outside the southeast boundary of North Cascades National Park, and there are trails immediately adjacent that'll take you into the backcountry if that's your sort of thing. It's gorgeous country.

Be careful & proficient in mountain operations if you go. It's a 2600' turf strip surrounded by high terrain.

Well if someone wants to rent my house in Angel Fire for a couple of days for some hiking, let me know :) Weather is great right now there, but I am away for fire season unfortunately.

I was thinking EWR or IAH.

Seriously...Juneau, AK. Take a jumpseat on a local commuter and get your butt to Haines, Skagway or Gustavus.

Out of Skagway there are numerous day hikes or you can hike the 33 mile Chilkoot trail (been done in one, most do it in three). Laughton Glacier hike is a good one (train will drop you off at trail head and pick you up in the afternoon.

Out of Haines there is Rapinski ridge trail.

Not quite sure out of Gustavus, but it is the dropping off point for Glacer Bay,

Good luck and have fun!

GP

Latest resources

Back