• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Highlights of IAD for the ASA folks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm on my 3rd regional and suffice it to say, I have seen a lot of Ops at a lot of airports. NOWHERE is worse than United Ops at the A gates in IAD!!!

I have to laugh when I hear some guys complain about ATL (delta) or LGA (USair). Been there, done that. No comparison! I think I have seen it all at that place.

-Once, we had a deffered APU. Dispatch called ahead to tell them we needed ground power. I called in range. I called on the ground. As we pull up to the gate I can see the big red tag on the broken ground power receptical. Of course we have to leave one engine burning, so after a minute the rampers start yelling at us in Farsi and pointing at the engine as though we somehow had forgotten to turn it off. Then they pull a stairway up right in front of our running engine. Took me almost an hour to explain to ops what the problem was and to get them to tug us to another gate.

-Another time we were getting ready to close up when the ramper brings the paperwork up and says, "Captain, when I was loading the bags, I though Raul was counting and when Raul was loading the bags, he thought I was counting. So, we don't know how many bags. Is this okay?" Then he hands us a Load Report with a question mark in the baggage column.

-Another time, we get to the plane and tell Ops over the radio that we're ready to board. Ops says, "ok". Five minutes later a ramper comes out and asks if we're ready to board. We say, "yes". Five minutes later another ramper comes up and asks if we're ready to board. Again we say, "Yes, we've already told two other people. Please send the passengers!". Another five minutes pass and finally an angry supervisor comes out and says, "What's the deal here guys!!? Why aren't you ready to board!!?".

Sorry to drag on, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. I could honestly type another ten pages on all the stupidity I have seen at that place. The biggest problem there is that nobody talks to anybody else, so If you call Ops and ask for something, they will tell you, "Copy!" and then do nothing about it. They might as well say, "Go F- yourself", but I don't think there english is good enough.

I have to laugh when I hear some guys complain about ATL (delta) or LGA (USair). Been there, done that. No comparison! I think I have seen it all at that place.

Whatever. You've never worked E as a regional and you probably haven't seen much of D either. I've seen IAD up close for quite some time although it was mostly the "G"hetto gates and it was on par with how the D gates are run at ATL. I've never had to sit on the ramp for an hour waiting for a gate in IAD though.

Whatever. You've never worked E as a regional and you probably haven't seen much of D either. I've seen IAD up close for quite some time although it was mostly the "G"hetto gates and it was on par with how the D gates are run at ATL. I've never had to sit on the ramp for an hour waiting for a gate in IAD though.

I have to agree. When ASA operated the ramp in ATL, it was the worst performance I have seen...even JFK. ASA....blows.

D-north in ATL actually has better on-time performance than C, and better than most of the ATL. If you're running late you also have a better chance to get back on time on D-north. This according to JJ in the GO, the girl in charge of analyzing ASA's performance data.

Agree to disagree? ATL is FUBARed some kinda fierce (unless you pull into A or B or the middle gates of C) chances are you're gonna go to D35 or 36 anyway so check your intentions of an on-time departure at the door.

IAD I'm sure has it's own challenges but I don't know if the airport can rival the EDCs or gate waits that ATL has... We know crap gate agents, horribly run ramps and helpless passengers (this IS a customer service industry remember). If need be we can print our releases over ACARS and get the real one at the last second. It'll be a challenge but with the ATL expertise under our belt, I think ASA will kick some @$$ in IAD

Agree to disagree? ATL is FUBARed some kinda fierce (unless you pull into A or B or the middle gates of C) chances are you're gonna go to D35 or 36 anyway so check your intentions of an on-time departure at the door.

IAD I'm sure has it's own challenges but I don't know if the airport can rival the EDCs or gate waits that ATL has... We know crap gate agents, horribly run ramps and helpless passengers (this IS a customer service industry remember). If need be we can print our releases over ACARS and get the real one at the last second. It'll be a challenge but with the ATL expertise under our belt, I think ASA will kick some @$$ in IAD

I am sure ASA will do well with experiencing the busiest airport in the world and having the initiative to move the operation forward themselves if needed. This not to say that IAD seems to have always had issues as far as Yonited service goes. Look for more of the same from the ops at IAD. The ATC folks on the ground were terrible 4-5 years ago. I recall sitting and waiting 45 minutes to go on 32 while only four planes landed on 1L. Poor utilization of concrete in my book.

I'm sure there will be issues...see the "Drop the Brake" thread. Hopefully our contract with UAL addresses it.

Our pilot contract is quite clear on how we get paid, but it would be nice to avoid the conflict.

Latest resources

Back