• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Highest BTMS on CRJ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thats normal. Downwind brakes get hotter due to the tendency for the airplane to weathervane into the wind during the landing rollout. Nothing to do with crosswind technique. Just natural application of more downwind brake.

Yeah, understood. It just seems a bit much when one side has gone white and the other side is still at 1...

I got six, on a single engine taxi while stuck behind an American 777. I swear the guy was taxiing at .001mph.

That's why they have the 3 lanes at the end of the runways at DFW, so other airlines that can handle taxiing at a fast walk pace can pass

..just seems a bit much when one side has gone white and the other side is still at 1...

You are correct in that if the upwind wing is allowed to rise, there will be less weight on those brakes, and hence the higher temps on the downwind side. I really ought to have given you more credit there...

One technique that I show new Captains is that when one of the sides is heating up unevenly on relation to the other, is to equalize by applying brakes only in the cool side during taxi and counter with your heel (only) on the hot side rudder to steer the thing. Also, try not to ride the things continuously, but ratter apply the brakes in bursts during the taxi. The temperature rising during taxi is more of a problem when you are light since the thing wants to accelerate quite a bit on the ground, I counter this by taxiing single engine on the way in after landing if you are very light.

Speaking of BTMS.

Does anyone else hate it when CAs get on the brakes right after you land? Who's leg is it again? Some of us don't want to snap the pax neck (or our own for that matter) to make the next taxiway. Really it’s not that big of a deal, just let it roll.

I like this one too: Float halfway down the runway trying to get the greaser, and then slam on the brakes. Seriously, WTF?

My first real greaser landing in the 200, the Capt totally slammed on the brakes as soon as the mains hit. If I fly with him again, when the mains hit, I'm going to say "your plane" and cross my arms and ankles. Not even crack the reversers. "Oh, I though you had it."

/rant

Latest resources

Back