• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Higher Power

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The secret is the audio CDs. If you know the material spoken on the *audio only* CDs as well as memory items you pass the oral easily. i arrived knowing the memory items and had a general idea of the material on the audio CD because i had listened to it twice but not an "firm" understanding or memorization of it. I had no difficulty with the course at all and didn't feel pressured. Some arrived having memorized a ton and it seemed no different for them, while others came with zero preparation and had a more difficult time but still in the end everyone passed.

First priority is knowing the answers to the multiple choice questions you know will be on the test day 1. Second priority is knowing the memory items. Last priority is spending time with the audio CDs listening the instructor, but it isn't crucial to have full understanding.

YeOldeProp said:
The folks at HPA are truly good people and put on a High-quality program. Definitely pre-study to "ease" the stress and fire-hose effect that awaits you. As far as a comment from "FEM" about having a qualified HPA instructor in the seat with you for the checkride...my answer is "maybe yes and maybe no". Some folks get the luxury of having an instructor (preferrably Rod) with them, but my partner and I were paired with an "available, fully qualified 737 pilot". He had graduated from the same course about 9 months prior to us. He was a bit short on work and got the gig to sit with us on our checkrides. Truth be told...I'd have really, really preferred to have my "unqualified" sim training partner in on the checkride. He was much calmer than the "sit-in", we worked great together, and he was much sharper than the guest FO. Just mentioning this so you don't go into shock on your checkride when the FO can't remember how to set up the bleed air panel to start the engines.

But...thanks to the outstanding training we got at HPA...we both made it through and got the famous hat. Again...they're a great group of folks to work with and will do all they can to get you through the program safely and competently. (and another vote for Carson to verify him as being a great instructor).

Good luck...
It's not the FO's job to remember how to set up the panel for an engine start captain.

Im going Monday, Jan 10th. Thanks for the info on what to study. I didnt think the audio CDs were that important, but now I know better.

I had not heard that deal about the -300 sim being assigned based on the date they received your deposit. Is there any advantage to using it? I know they said if you want the -300 sim you get a free, 4 hour "differences" class on it after your oral.

On your checkride are you allowed to use the auto throttles? The -300 seems like a better bet if you get to use the auto throttles on all the approaches. Im coming from flying a 757 and we use the autopilot/autothrottles for the entire check ride (and line fliying too), with the only exception being the hand-flown single engine ILS. I assume boths sims have working autopilots and you are expected to use it on the check ride.

Shed some light on that subject, if you can.

Thanks

Last edited:
Propjob,

AT aren't used for any part of the checkride. Vertical nav & the alt hold features are players in some of the scenarios...this lines up with how SWA does its checkrides...we don't have the AT feature hooked up.

A little history about the use of AT at SWA & why we don't use them.....we don't use them because we save gas that way!!! Skeptics will argue this fact but even Boeing didn't believe until they sent their engineers out & watch how the folks flew it. This story was passed on by a CA that observed & was involved with the study.

The savings were around 3% if the descent profiles are flown properly by the pilots as described in the FOM. Also another factor was the constant jocking of the throttles by the computer in flight & the fuel consumption this causes vs. making just periodic changes as the pilots do....if when you drove your car you were always changing the gas peddle up & down it would hurt one's gas mileage there also.

Skeptics & critics will howl but the study came up with the efficiency involved. Now that was years ago when we first got the -300s. Are the computers better now? Definitely yes. Would there be cost savings by using them now? Maybe. Is SWA looking at it again? I've heard they are so nothing is sacred which is good. Will we have them in the future? Maybe so, Iwouldn't count it out but it will have to be under the premise it saves money (i.e. not just gas but savings on maintenance also). Just thought I'd throw some interesting history on auto throttles & SWA out there...we are critiqued for not being automated enough....I kind of like hand flying myself & not being considered odd if doing it....

Back to the question, my route would be the -300 sim if you can get it but either one is a good deal with the quality of instructors. Yes there is a 4 hr differences class....the oral though for EVERYONE is one the -200 at HPA, that is a given. Cheers

i went to HPA last august it was a great experience. I did minimal studing before starting class and passed without much difficulty. If I was to do it again, I would have reviewed the audio CDs before heading down to Dallas. Everything you need to know is on those audio CDs. I'd recomend studying hard because you'll want to spend your time in Dallas hanging out with the pilots you meet in class. Because I was so unprepared, I only got to go out drinking with the guys three nights instead of six.

-300 Sim

All 6 people who flew the 300 sim in August of 04 used auto throttles on the checkride for everything except the SE ILS.
I think that it was a big help.
All of the folks in class who were flying the 200 bitched about the Auto pilot/Flight Director.
I think flying the 300 was a better deal and made for an easier checkride.

Bones

Hey guys,

Can someone give me an idea how much the type will cost and idea of time frame and hotels for the area?

2nd that on the -300

I was in Bones' class. Had to do the -200 due to seniority in sending in deposit for the class. From what others said who flew the -300, the -200's autopilot was more prone to click off...more handflying.

However, if your trying for both SWA and FedEx, 12 hrs of sim time and more handflying may be the better deal (due to FedEx's sim eval during their interview process). Just a thought.

Concur with the previous posts on the audio CDs. They are the money. If I were going to do it over again, I would focus on the CDs and have the preflight flow, before start flow, start sequence and after start flows down prior to starting class. Knowing the question bank cold (for the first day's test) is a given. There is a red folder with a lot of fill ins based on the various systems- we never used that one but I remember prior to starting class wondering whether I should have had that completed. Personally, I wouldn't even put in the luggage.

One final thought...if you go to HPA, show them who you are. On day one they take a picture of you for their records...make this your best and happiest picture. Sounds weird saying this, but it's true. They're very friendly folks and live the culture of SWA. You've got two weeks to show them that you really want to be part of that culture too...show them (the staff) your personality and above all, SMILE!

Hope that helps.

Good luck and fly safe,

jtb

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back